CLAMP's Famous Works > Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE

General discussions on the TRC Movie

<< < (6/49) > >>

aLie-ChAn:
awww~  me wished it culd b longer! >.<  BOTH of da movies! >.<  anyways, can't change dat ^^;;
me hope dat both of da movies be EXTREMELY good...well, they HAFTOO be!!!!!!! ~___^   *hope dat prayer waz answered XD*

AkaiYuki:

--- Quote from: fisah on August 24 2005, 03:54 pm ---Tusbasa will be only 30 minutes long, since it will just be like a really special episode, with its new opening and ending. Tsubasa is already a series, so xxxHolic will obviously recieve more exposure :lol:

xxxHolic is 60 minutes long, since movies in Japan are about 90 minutes long. Though it isn't as short as Tsubasa, I still think the length is somewhat dissapointing :sad5:

--- End quote ---

........................ *cries* At least I love Yuuko... B-but what if the animation in the movie ruins her just as much as he was ruined in the Tsubasa anime??? I mean, I've seen the trailor but it wasn't really enough to really *see* her...

sofiacardcaptors:
;_; only 30 minutes.. so we have an extra epi -_-'
waa T_T *cries*

i want to see something more about the movie o-o

Brad:
Here's my review from my site!  :sweatdrop:

After 2 frustrating hours of zipping all around the Yamonote, I finally found a theatre showing the Tsubasa and xxxHolic movie! I was very suprised at the apparent limited release for this movie, however there could be two reasons . The first and something I think could be the case is that the show isn't that well known here outside the Otaku circles, unlike Pokemon, Naruto and Full Metal Alchemist, all of which also have a movie in almost every major theatre in Japan right now. I went to the three major areas of Tokyo; Shibuya, Ikebukuro and finally Shinjuku and only found one theatre playing Tsubasa. My second theory is that this movie isn't considered a major motion picture as say, the Pokemon movies, but rather a complement to the tv series. The 30min Tsubasa section, despite incedible animation and a much faster pace and action scenes, plays out like an episode from the tv show and while the xxxHolic part was simply amazing and made a great movie in itself (at 60mins), it's main purpose seemed to be simply to give us a greater understanding of Yuko and the gang that we barely see in the Tsubasa anime, yet play a pivotal role.

Something to think about...

Now on with the review!!!

I LOVED the animation! The backgrounds were on par with a Ghibli film and the character's movements were... just amazing! I couldn't have been more impressed! However with the new animation came a new animation studio and with that came some continuity flaws in plot and style.

The most notable is the opening scene which is a replay of the first meeting with Yuko which has been completely reanimated and I swear to God, rewritten. The dialogue goes for twice as long and is notably different from the first and second episode of the series. The entrance of Faye and Kurogane is, while very cool, completely different. Instead of a bubble appearing out of the sky, we get two superfast tornadoes that explode to reveal the two guys that will join the team. While this was done to introduce new visitors to the complex story (a great idea too!) I'm sure using a clip from the series would have sufficed. They actually did this in the new Pokemon movie (with Rukario) with a clip from the first episode and I found it extremely emotional. I'm kind of torn between the plot holes and just how cool the animation was in that scene. Undecided.

The next plot hole that stuck out was the gang arriving in the land of the birdcage in completely different outfits! This was very strange. I guess they could have gotten them from their previous world, but still...

The only other plot hole that comes to mind is Kurogane using his sword to create a huge fire attack ala Mortal Kombat or something, but that was just so cool I'll let it slide.

Now... I don't want to spoil the story for anyone, but I will say it was leaps and bounds above the tv series and VERY rewatchable. I'll also offer some tidbits that should tide you over until the dvd release or you read another review:

Yes, there is a feather in this world, though to the director's credit, they don't show it being given to Sakura. We simply assume she got it back.

The princess is Tomoyo though more the Tomoyo from Kurogane's world than the happy one we know from CCS. i.e. No google eyes at Sakura, though they do meet and become friends.

There is a swapping of items with Yuko. This scene is of course seen from Yuko's point of view in the xxxHolic movie.

All the BGM is from the tv series, with the exception of Aerial and Amerita (hey, they both start with "A"!) Aerial only goes for 5 seconds as the title appears.

I couldn't see Miyuki. But then I forgot to look for her!

Saoran gets the main focus, not Sakura.

Sakura displays no special powers of her own.

Mokona transfers objects as seen in the manga, by swallowing them whole.

People die. (I ain't saying who!)

The ending credits are similar to the Pokemon ending credits, ala the subplots finishing up in the background, behind the credits and more shots of the world.

30 minutes was a great running time for this movie.

Overall I loved it. 5 stars. There are holes but I had honestly forgotten about them by the end. SUGOI!!!

aishiteru:
thanks for the review brad! i'm constantly at your site reading your reviews on the tsubasa episodes. this is very detailed and now i simply can't wait until the dvd release!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version