General Discussions > The "What" Board

What internet connection are you on?

(1/8) > >>

pyn:
I ask this question because I always hear/read complains "oh my internet is so slow."

Dial-up » you connect by plugging a telephone line from the wall jack into your computer and use some program like NetZero or AOL.  max speeds of 56kbps (that's kiloBITS not BYTES)

DSL » the telephone line from the wall jack is plugged into a DSL modem then plugged into your computer through an ethernet port.  max speeds of 3mbps (US) or 20+mbps (anywhere but the US)

Satellite » this includes internet access such as Verizon's EVDO service, or any other "wireless broadband" service.  max speeds of 300kbps (US) or 5mbps (anywhere but the US)

Cable » a coaxial line is plugged into a cable modem and connected to your PC via an ethernet cable.  max speeds of 5mbps (US) or over 100mbps (anywhere but the US)

Fiber » fiber optics wired straight to your house and connected to your PC via ethernet/gigabit ethernet.  max speeds of 1+gbps

kudan:
I'm on wireless, so that makes it satellite I guess...
Oh, and the thread should be placed in the "What Board" instead, since it starts with the word "what". :sweatdrop:

~Bloody_Rose~:
Im on Dial-Up... (don't you just pity me?) :cry:

monkey:
at home I'm on ADSL with 2.2mbps. But by the end of June I will be upgraded to 8mbps.

Cardcaptor Takato:
I'm on cable Internet.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version