AuthorTopic: Volume 10, Del Rey version  (Read 4418 times)

Offline Capella

• The Ashura family owns my soul
  • Obsessed Fan
  • Anti-God - Ashura
Volume 10, Del Rey version
« on: July 28 2006, 05:19 am »
For those of you who read the official English releases, what do you think of this volume? Has anyone else seen it yet?

My thoughts:
I'm overjoyed to have this volume, being the Ashura fangirl that I am. It's a really short one, like volume 9, but it does have an omake, which is nice. The translations notes weren't very helpful this time (mostly they repeated what was said in the last volume). I don't know much about the translation itself, though the dialogue sounds a little odd in places. I'm curious about the translation of the scene between Fai and Kurogane in Chapitre 72 (I can't seem to find a fan translation of it).
The  "Remember Hideki" Campaign: Chii's one and only "someone just for me."
Come here to join!

My Forum Family
Elder Sister = Jeannette
Cousin = Becster

Offline Touei

• -gone-
  • Big Fan
Re: Volume 10, Del Rey version
« Reply #1 on: July 28 2006, 05:35 am »
I've not been able to get a copy yet, the manga store told me today they wouldnt have it in for another week at least ;^;
Hhm~ I'm not sure if we can post links to scanlation sites that've got licensed stuff, but here.
I'm also interested in how Del-Rey translated a few bits.. they do seem to have a habit of getting little details wrong or changing them (such as the chapter in volume 8ish, where in the fan translation Fai seems to say something about Kuro-tan, but Del-Rey made it sound like he was talking about Ashura-ou. Though, Im not sure which one would be more correct.. And the infamous screw up in the second chapter where the Fai-Chii conversation got totally messed up *scowls at DR*)
*wonders if buying volume 10 from Amazon would be better*

Offline Becster

• ...Did someone say KuroFai?
  • Obsessed Fan
  • Made by meliwan <333
« Reply #2 on: July 28 2006, 05:43 am »
Well, in the fan translation Fai merely notes in a teasing manner that Kurogane seems to be watching over Tomoyo closely. You can tell he's teasing because he adds in a 'How intriguing Kuro-rin~!' with a little heart after it. A clear tease.

How Del Ray managed to translate something along those terms to refer to something about a crush, I'll NEVER know.

I mean, if it were meant to be translated to 'crush', Kuro would've had some sort of reaction, rather than just stand there going '¬¬...'

Del Ray haven't been too bad so far, but this translation just seems odd to me. o_O I have only been buying the volumes before this though...so...I'd like to know what was actually said in chapter 2 in the Fai and Chi conversation, and the difference in volume eight...if that's okay.

Sig made by meliwan <3

Made by Capella
Remember Hideki Campaign: Chi's one and only 'Someone Just for Me'.

We KuroFai fangirls are so polite. We politely agree that everyone is allowed to like other pairings, we politely accept everyone else's opinions, and then we, very politely, of course, crush their arguments for other pairings with our infallible KuroFai logic. <3

Forum Family
Forum Wives: meliwan and Emiko <33 (Yay. Bigamy! XD)
Daughter: Kana-chan <3
Cousin: Capella

Offline tg

• Good Fan
  • Huh?
« Reply #3 on: July 28 2006, 05:57 am »
Del Ray haven't been too bad so far, but this translation just seems odd to me. o_O I have only been buying the volumes before this though...so...I'd like to know what was actually said in chapter 2 in the Fai and Chi conversation, and the difference in volume eight...if that's okay.

Del Rey isn't too bad.  I agree.  Even though, they do get a few things off, it isn't too major.  I kind of took a double take when I read Chapitre 2 and compared it to the Hyu You translation but I can understand when the DR translator gets "Fai-sama" incorrectly.

Chi is suppose to ask:  Is he asleep?  The King?

Edit:  The other Del Rey mistake that I can easily spot comparing with the fan translations is in vol. 3 page 164.

Syaoran is suppose to ask Mokona:  Is it here, Mokona?   (This again, can be understandable because of the pronoun confusion between "you" and "it".)

I have also seen a grammatical error somewhere in one of the earlier versions so I wrote my own correction in the book.
« Last Edit: July 28 2006, 07:38 am by tg »
O.o

Offline Spoonful

• New Fan
  • It is indeed the most delightful way.
« Reply #4 on: July 28 2006, 06:33 am »
Is vol. 10 worth getting? I have translated vol. 1-9. I haven't been extremely thrilled with Del Rey so far so I was planning to sell mine to get money for the untranslated tankoubon (plus it may help me with working on my Japanese), so if I bought 10 I'd eventually sell it too. So is it worth getting?
Designated signature consumed by lack of creativity. Please stand by.

I support evil!Syaoran/Fay. Eye loss = OTP. CLAMP hath decreed it. (I'm kidding, people.)

Offline tg

• Good Fan
  • Huh?
« Reply #5 on: July 28 2006, 07:36 am »
If you can read, or at least translate majority of the Japanese, then I'd say...buy the Japanese tankoubon!    Plus, you're learning Japanese so yeah...  ^_^   I'm only buying the English versions because I know, within a few years from now, the English translations found online won't exist anymore.
O.o

Offline Capella

• The Ashura family owns my soul
  • Obsessed Fan
  • Anti-God - Ashura
« Reply #6 on: July 28 2006, 07:46 am »
(such as the chapter in volume 8ish, where in the fan translation Fai seems to say something about Kuro-tan, but Del-Rey made it sound like he was talking about Ashura-ou. Though, Im not sure which one would be more correct.. And the infamous screw up in the second chapter where the Fai-Chii conversation got totally messed up *scowls at DR*)
*wonders if buying volume 10 from Amazon would be better*

You mean the bit in volume 8 where Fai says "I can't win. He doesn't seem to be watching, but he's watching." (quote from the Del Rey version)? I find that line to be really ambiguous, since he starts it as he's watching Kurogane, but ends it with a picture of Ashura-ou in the background. The line makes sense as a reference to Kurogane being able to see things about Fai that Fai doesn't want him to, but the Ashura-ou pic suggests that Fai is thinking about Ashura-ou for some reason. I think that's just a vague little scene in the first place.

(I got vol.10 from Amazon since the stores in my area don't generally get Del Rey releases for a week or two after the release as well, and I'm not going to be home then but I really wanted to have the volume.)

The Del Rey versions are fine with me for the most part, though I get thrown off by things like the Fai being a king mix up, occasional weird sounding dialogue, and the crush line sounded strange since I was sure that if that translation had been out there already, some Kurogane/Tomoyo fan would have brought it up as an argument for the pairing.
The  "Remember Hideki" Campaign: Chii's one and only "someone just for me."
Come here to join!

My Forum Family
Elder Sister = Jeannette
Cousin = Becster

Offline Spoonful

• New Fan
  • It is indeed the most delightful way.
« Reply #7 on: July 28 2006, 09:42 am »
If you can read, or at least translate majority of the Japanese, then I'd say...buy the Japanese tankoubon!    Plus, you're learning Japanese so yeah...  ^_^   I'm only buying the English versions because I know, within a few years from now, the English translations found online won't exist anymore.
I don't know much Japanese at all, but I have a good memory. And I'm hoping that by the time the English translations vanish I'll have a decent enough grasp on the language so that I won't need them. (Plus the tankoubon are cheaper.) So...I won't bother. I do like comparing translations, though, so I'll try to at least read it...
Designated signature consumed by lack of creativity. Please stand by.

I support evil!Syaoran/Fay. Eye loss = OTP. CLAMP hath decreed it. (I'm kidding, people.)

Offline Jeannette

• Official KuroFai Advocate
  • Dedicated Fan
  • Souma <3
« Reply #8 on: August 02 2006, 04:59 am »
I've read it... It's not too bad. But Fai saying Kurogane had a crush on Tomoyo was weird, and not the sense I got from the fan translations I've read at all. >_< Silly homo-hesitant DelRey... They've done a few other things in TRC and in xxxHOLiC that make it seem like they are trying to tone down some of the hints to KuroFai and WatanukiDoumeki. Plus they called Seishirou and Subaru friends in one of their translation notes. But whatever... I just buy the licensed versions just so I don't feel guilty for downloading scanlations.
Sign the Petition for Equality: millionformarriage.org

My Livejournal CLAMP Yuri Com My Fanfiction My Graphics Sandcastles

Every time you rape the canon, God kills a kitten. Please, think of the kittens.

My Forum Wife: hoshisenshi - My Sister-in-Law: AkaiYuki - My Sister: Capella - Pet Doggy: Quimmy

Proud Member of the Remember Hideki Campaign

Offline bearmoon

• I long for a wish that cannot be granted
« Reply #9 on: August 21 2006, 05:25 am »
Hmm...I like DelRey, I think it's the best manga publisher out there currently. I see fewer mistakes and much better translations that I do in other series by publishers like Tokyopop and Viz.

And maybe it's just me because mymindworks in mysterious ways, but did volume 10 really seem kind of odd? I didn't notice anything strange other than the extra notes were a little too much like volume 9's. Then again, I was too busy enjoying all the Ashura to really notice. ^^;

Offline Sandra-chan

• cRAzY fan
« Reply #10 on: October 03 2006, 11:58 pm »
Del Rey isn't too bad.  I agree.  Even though, they do get a few things off, it isn't too major.  I kind of took a double take when I read Chapitre 2 and compared it to the Hyu You translation but I can understand when the DR translator gets "Fai-sama" incorrectly.

Chi is suppose to ask:  Is he asleep?  The King?
I have actually only read the del-rey version of the first nine books so I didn't know about that. In the del-rey version she says "Did you sleep? My king" and then Fai answers "Yes this is the only way I can" I actually got confused there, because there can't be two kings in a country..
KuroxFay forever!
Banners made by me ^^