CLAMP's Famous Works > Season 2

[TRC Arc 2] Episode 14: Black Steel

<< < (13/20) > >>

mela:
As someone who basically flames the hell out of BeeTrain, I thought this episode was pretty good in terms of adaptation and quality.  I say that honestly, too. It was actually... enjoyable, even with the changes BeeTrain made. Whoever directed this episode was actually smart. The animation was good too. So good job, for once, BeeTrain.

I have bad stuff to say about it too. For example, Show contentthe episode pretty much opens with Kurogane's past, and then at the end everyone is already at the library, if someone who hadn't read the manga had been watching, they'd be like "WTF? When did they get there?"
 But seriously, I didn't really mind the changes they made because I felt that even though the episode was a bit rushed, it was still an alright adaptation of the manga. I wish they could do more of their episodes like that, instead of the horrific job they have been doing this second season (the first season had its problems, but it is still better). They didn't screw up royally and I am really glad about that because the arc with Kurogane's past is really one that changes your view of the character in such a vast way, it's one of my favorite parts of the manga because it makes the character a lot more three dimensional (even though he's 2d, har har). You kinda go back and think about his actions and stuff while you have read the manga and you're like "Oh, so that's why etc blah blah blah..."

Show contentThey cut out the part with Kurogane and Tomoyo at the end of that arc, which is completely unexpected because I thought anything that might thow in some "het vibes" even though they're little kids, would be completely BeeTrain approved. KuroTomo fans must be mad XD Now they know how we (K/F fans) feel, ohohoho.
All in all, it could have been better, but knowing BeeTrain it could have been a heck of a lot worse.

Capella:
I'd like to say that I thought Bee-train's adaption of the Shara/Shura arc was perfectly good, though the animation was occasionally...ick, and there are  issues like removing the alcohol and most of the blood that go on throughout the whole series. The first season arcs were adapted well, also (though I object to throwing Sorata and Arashi into Koryo). So I don't really have anything against Bee-train, other than the majority of their fillers (episode 16 wasn't that bad), their lack-luster animation, their apparent hemophobia, which I think could become a problem later on (the Tokyo arc), and moving through the manga storyline at a pace which really is inconvient when it comes to staying behind CLAMP. Also cutting out the Country of Idols because I don't understand why they would do that when they just had to use fillers anyway. Okay, maybe I do have a little against Bee-train. But not too much.

Lulu:
I completely agree with you, Kuromori ^^ Sometimes, as a devoted fan of the manga, I almost want to cry when I watch the anime (and I even sub it for my spanish fansub group, so I'm kind of "forced" to watch every episode three of four times, sometimes even more... and that's like seeing every bad character design/animation/whatever through a magnifying glass). But after all, an animated series is a completely different media, so it's obvious that it won't be a exact copy of the manga we all love.

And I don't like to blame BeeTrain for, basically, changing the target audience of the series (because most of the changes we're seeing it's because of that: not understanding that Tsubasa is not aimed at the same public than, say, Card Captor Sakura). BeeTrain made great animes of excellent quality in the past that I truly enjoyed watching, with deeply complex and philosophical stories with profound metaphors and sometimes with mature themes and scenes (not a lot of those, but anyway... ^^u) such as .hack//SIGN, .hack//Roots, Noir, Avenger, Arc The Lad...

I think the one to blame is NHK, which also broadcasted Card Captor Sakura (and if I'm not mistaken, they started doing it again when Tsubasa started being aired) and whom, I think, bought Tsubasa as a kind of "CCS 2nd Part", then making that error on the target audience. Of course, BeeTrain has its share of fault, because the low quality of the animation in some episodes has nothing to do with NHK. But the lack of blood and homosexual relationships, those pointless fillers in which sometimes they mess up the original story, the modification of Sakura's personality transforming her into a typical and boring "damsel in distress", and sometimes forcing SakuraxSyaoran moments that aren't in the manga (I shouldn't complain about that, since I'm a SxS fan too, but... ^^u)... had led me to believe that they want to sell this as a marketing product, a CCS revival, a low quality anime that, no matter how cheap it is, will help them sell a lot of merchandise. And they're indicating BeeTrain that this is what they want, so this is what they should make and produce for them.

Despite all that, if I were a member of CLAMP, I wouldn't have chosen BeeTrain for Tsubasa. Much as I like them, Tsubasa's story it's not their style AT ALL. I would have chosen MADHOUSE or even Pierrot instead.

Finally, I don't know if everybody knows this (sorry if you do already ^^u), but BeeTrain is a subsidiary of Production I.G. While IG usually does movies, OVAs and short animations, such as openings and endings for videogames (they've done quite a few series too, but usually they only collaborate partially, they're fully in charge of everything only when there's a lot of money involved XD), BeeTrain is usually in charge of cheaper *cough* TV series.

Meowzy:

--- Quote from: meliwan on August 01 2006, 01:41 am ---Show contentThey cut out the part with Kurogane and Tomoyo at the end of that arc, which is completely unexpected because I thought anything that might thow in some "het vibes" even though they're little kids, would be completely BeeTrain approved. KuroTomo fans must be mad XD Now they know how we (K/F fans) feel, ohohoho.
--- End quote ---

Ohohohohohoh!  >D
Show contentIt is kinda stupid though, because now people won't know that Kurogane's Ginryuu was actually a copy, and that the original Ginryuu was buried with Kurogane's mommy.

mela:

--- Quote from: Meowzy on August 01 2006, 03:22 am ---Ohohohohohoh! >D
Show contentIt is kinda stupid though, because now people won't know that Kurogane's Ginryuu was actually a copy, and that the original Ginryuu was buried with Kurogane's mommy.
--- End quote ---

it really is. That's a crucial bit of information, I think. It just seems weird that they'd cut out such a big piece of the story like that, but then again, we should be used to it considering what they've done with other arcs...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version