CLAMP's Famous Works > Season 2

[TRC Arc 2] Episode 14: Black Steel

<< < (19/20) > >>

Ando:

--- Quote from: Zettai daijoubu on August 30 2006, 10:05 pm ---wouldn't onee-chan and onii-chan (since the -ii sound is the same as the -ee sound) sound the same >.< or is there some kind of special pronounication?
--- End quote ---

In English ee is pronounced as i, but not in Japanese. Hm... try pronouncing the e as in the word "get" but with a long vowel (that's the only English word with a fitting e sound I can think of at the moment) when you say oneechan, and there you'll have it.

selenityshiroi:

--- Quote from: Capella on August 30 2006, 08:31 pm ---Wow, Selenityshiroi, I'm going to give you a cookie for that little lesson. I've been wondering about "Aniki" and stuff for a while. To your knowledge, is "Aniue" a word? Or someone messing up the translation?

--- End quote ---

Yeay, cookies!  *munch*

I haven't ever seen aniue used, only aniki, but a quick look at Jim Breen's online dictionary has aniue listed as an honourable version of older brother so it isn't an error.

--- Quote ---thanks selenityshiroi  for that littel japan lesson!! wouldn't onee-chan and onii-chan (since the -ii sound is the same as the -ee sound) sound the same >.< or is there some kind of special pronounication?
--- End quote ---

As Ando has already answered, the vowels are pronounced differently.

Japanese uses pure vowel sounds, very similar to the ones used in Latin. A is pronounced ah (like in Apple), i is pronounced ee (like the i in him), u is pronounced oo (like the u in tune), e is pronounced ehh (like the e in hemp) and o is pronounced oh (like the o in bottle).  All of the sounds are short and crisp.  When you have two vowels placed together in Japanese the sound is longer but not really different.

(Of course, I'm English, so I might pronounce these words slightly differently than any other English dialects!)

Onii-chan is pronounced oh-nee-cha-n and onee-chan is pronounced oh-nehh-cha-n.

Capella:

--- Quote from: selenityshiroi on August 31 2006, 04:16 am ---I haven't ever seen aniue used, only aniki, but a quick look at Jim Breen's online dictionary has aniue listed as an honourable version of older brother so it isn't an error.

--- End quote ---

Thank you. ^.^ I've never seen the word used anywhere outside of RG Veda scanlations, so I wondered if it was just the scanlators screwing something up.

Kuro-puppy:

--- Quote from: Capella on September 01 2006, 10:34 am ---Thank you. ^.^ I've never seen the word used anywhere outside of RG Veda scanlations, so I wondered if it was just the scanlators screwing something up.

--- End quote ---

off-topic: while we're on the subject, i found manga's of RG Veda in the store yesterday (very happy fan! ^^) and the sword Kurogane uses in the Kudan world is from RG Veda O.o

Sailor Yue-chan:
lemon tea chronicles for all 3 eps of lecourt is out

(not counting ep 43 as a lecourt ep )
http://lumivalkea.livejournal.com/273093.html

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version