AuthorTopic: Anime/Manga Recommendation Thread  (Read 3088 times)

Offline G_chaN

• Great Fan
  • Kyoru!! ^_^
Anime/Manga Recommendation Thread
« on: June 24 2007, 01:49 pm »
Well, I always wondered if there are some good anime/manga that I haven't watched/read yet or a newly released one that's a must-read/watch... I always ask about this so I thought maybe I should make a thread out of it..

Now I ask all of you... what anime/manga would you recommend?

you could include a synopsis or genre or whatever information concerning the one you're about to recommend...

Offline Kuro-puppy

• The heart of red will be enfolded in wind......
  • Former Staff
  • *Freak Fan?!*
  • ElioXCarol forever!
Re: Anime/Manga Recommendation Thread
« Reply #1 on: June 24 2007, 01:53 pm »
didn't we already have a similair thread? I can't seem to find it tough....
Join Zeldi's Forum

avatar and signature made by Zeldi

Forum Family:
Forum Wife ~ -=kuro_woof=-              Little Sis ~ Aya-chan
Little Bro ~ Kuri-san                                        another beloved Little Sis ~ Zeldi
Vampire Lover nicole_shimun

On an ephemeral evening, I tell a story to my friend.

Reflected behind my closed eyelids is a sweet field. Dauntless, I embrace you lovingly. I am together with you.

Out of love, I forge a pact with you. Like a breath, the wind will envelop you. You and I will be together wherever we go.

The heart of red will be enfolded in wind and forge the contract.

Offline G_chaN

• Great Fan
  • Kyoru!! ^_^
« Reply #2 on: June 24 2007, 01:58 pm »
Ahh.. you did? I've been looking for one and I didn't find any..

Offline Arcademan

• Hero of CLOW Empire & the Arcademan Universe!
  • Warlord of Clow
  • > Supa-Dupa Fan! <
  • Warlord of CLOW!!!
« Reply #3 on: June 24 2007, 02:05 pm »
One used to exist but most likely either did not survive the move to the new server or was already archived so consider this the new Recommendation Thread :greengrin:

When asking for recommendations, it may help simplify things if you ask for a specific genre (fighting, magical, adventure, etc).

"Everything will surely be all right." 「絶対大丈夫だよ。」, "Zettai daijōbu da yo."
"Force without Master, heed the call of my Staff of Dreams, and become my power! SECURE!!!"
Neo-Geo: Come for the games, stay for teh drama!

Offline Kuro-puppy

• The heart of red will be enfolded in wind......
  • Former Staff
  • *Freak Fan?!*
  • ElioXCarol forever!
« Reply #4 on: June 24 2007, 02:40 pm »
in that case i'll start

Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha/A's/StrikerS

Yuuno Scraia is a mage from a distant planet working to fix the problem he started when Jewel Seeds were accidentally spread around the world. In a failed attempt to seal a seed properly, he winds up on Earth in the form of a ferret. However, his battle with the seeds did not end upon reaching the Earth and he needs somebody else's help to seal the seeds for him. Takamachi Nanoha hears his telepathic cries for help and comes to his rescue. When she is given a pearl known as the Raging Heart she is able to transform into Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha and wield a staff to fend off the evil that lies within the Seeds. In order to help Yuuno complete his mission, she needs to seal all 21 Jewel Seeds away, but Fate may be playing a hand in the matter to prevent Nanoha's goals.

good:

- Whoa animation
- great seiyuu's and characters
- nice stories
- fantastic battles with spectacular soundtracks (soundtrack beats TRC's anyday in my book ^^)
- shocking and OMG scenes
- lots of Shouyo-ai hints

bad:

- lots of fanservice (mostly season 3)
- season 3 starts very slowly

Code Geass

The Empire of Britannia has invaded Japan using giant robot weapons called Knightmare Frames. Japan is now referred to as Area 11, and its people the 11's. A Britannian who was living in Japan at the time, Lelouch, vowed to his Japanese friend Suzaku that he'd destroy Britannia. Years later, Lelouch is in high school, but regularly skips out of school to go play chess and gamble on himself. One day, he stumbles on terrorists 11's who've stolen a military secret and is caught by a member of the Britannian task force sent after them, who is Suzaku. As the rest of the squad arrives, Suzaku is shot for disobeying orders, while the military secret, a young girl, gives Lelouch the power of Geass, which makes anyone obey any order. While Suzaku is secretly made the pilot of Britannia's brand new prototype Knightmare, Lancelot, Lelouch becomes the masked Zero to lead the rebellion to destroy Britannia once and for all.

good:

- from ep 4 grabs you by the throat to never let go
- great and believable characters and development
- character designs by Clamp (looking at the story i've a hard time believing they only did the designs for this anime ^^)
- starts out as a great anime and becomes even better with each episode
- Lelouch rules as the anti-hero
- impressive mecha battles
- major OMG scenes
- best storytelling in a long time
- nice animation and art
- creators are not afraid to kill of important characters

bad:

- episode 1 ain't very interesting and turns off many people from watching the rest
- lots of fanservice and even nudity in one episode

Mai-HiME

Tokiha Mai and her sickly younger brother, Takumi, have received a scholarship to attend the prestigious Fuuka Academy. On the way, the ferry they are travelling on becomes the site of a destructive battle between two girls wielding apparently supernatural powers. This is only the beginning of their troubles, as Mai learns that she herself possesses these powers - the powers of a HiME.

good:

- nice characters with lots of backgroundstories and development
- great art and animation
- superb soundtrack (Yuki Kajira, who also did the TRC soundtracks, made it)
- nice battles
- creators have no problem with killing off important characters
- comedy

bad:

- lots of innocent fanservice

Erementar Gerad

After a routine raid, the rookie sky pirate Cou finds a most unusual cargo in his mates' cargo hold: Ren, an "Edel Reid", a race prized by humans for granting special combat power to their partners through "Reacting". He quickly discovers, however, that Ren is even more prized than he expected. The pirate ship is visited by three members of the Edel Reid Complete Protection Agency "Arc Aire", who try to purchase her. When Cou refuses, the ship is suddenly attacked by a mysterious force, and Cou's captain charges him with Ren's protection.

good:

- great comedy
- Coud and Ren are totally cute as a couple
- battles are nice
- great character development
- awesome soundtrack
- great seiyuu's
- chibi's!!!
- art is great

bad:

- most fansubs of this anime suck so it's best to download the DVD eps with acceptable subs
« Last Edit: June 25 2007, 01:46 pm by Kuro-puppy »
Join Zeldi's Forum

avatar and signature made by Zeldi

Forum Family:
Forum Wife ~ -=kuro_woof=-              Little Sis ~ Aya-chan
Little Bro ~ Kuri-san                                        another beloved Little Sis ~ Zeldi
Vampire Lover nicole_shimun

On an ephemeral evening, I tell a story to my friend.

Reflected behind my closed eyelids is a sweet field. Dauntless, I embrace you lovingly. I am together with you.

Out of love, I forge a pact with you. Like a breath, the wind will envelop you. You and I will be together wherever we go.

The heart of red will be enfolded in wind and forge the contract.

Offline sanlyn

• "A True Fan"
  • Neo-Angelique <3
« Reply #5 on: June 24 2007, 07:29 pm »
Nodame Cantabile

info: Anidb
genre: romance/comedy
good point
 - classical music theme
 - good/unique story
 - very funny and enjoyable.
 bad point
 - the episode is only up to epi 23 ... so story is incomplete.... read manga for further development. and manga is licensed

Ghost Hunt

info: anidb
genre: shoujo/ horror/mystery
good point
- based from Fuyumi Ono's mystery novel ( Author of 12 Kingdoms)
- nice story/ dark theme
- musics are awesome.
- cute characters

bad point
- do not watch this anime in dark or during sundown especially at midnight or before you go to sleep.
- some scenes are scarry.

Offline Moon

• Ninja!Princess
  • "Exceptional Fan"
« Reply #6 on: June 25 2007, 10:30 am »
Lovely Complex (RabuCom)

Genre: Comedy/Romance/Shoujo

Summary: Risa is a very tall girl, who has never had it easy when it comes to love. She is the "comedy duo" with Otani (who is shorter then her), for they always seem to be fighting with each other and sometimes even saying the same thing at the same time. The story is about how Risa begins to notice that she has feelings for Otani, and if a relationship between a tall girl and short boy is possible.

Good Points

+ enjoyable and funny.
+ Animation is good.
+ Opening and Ending songs are caughty and fun to listen to.
+ Risa x Otani is awesomeness (to me anyway).

Bad Points

- Risa tends to cry a little much.

I don't really have a lot of bad points on this one, for I personally really like it. ^_^;

Icon made by animeneko_chan @ lj.com

Forum Family

Fai and Zeldi are my cousins.
Sayora Chan is my onee-chan.
KuroPuppy and Tooya_Mizuki are my Onii-chans.
aishiteru is my Imoto-chan
suu_no_clover is my  Imoto-chan/Yin.
Lexi is my cat.

Offline tsuki

• Dedicated Fan
  • I'm a seiyuu lover~
« Reply #7 on: June 28 2007, 01:32 am »
D.Gray-Man

Plot Summary:Allen Walker is a young Exorcist who has a cursed eye that can see the suffering of the Akumas created by The Millenium Earl. He travels to England to the Headquarters of the Exorcists where his Master has sent him to meet with the other Exorcists. The battle with the Millenium Earl and the Noah Family vs. the Exorcists intensifies when some of the best Exorcists begin to get killed by hoards of Akuma. Japan takes center stage in this end of 19th Century plot in order to not let the entire human race be turned into Akumas and the Exorcists have the power of "Innocence" that was given to them by God on their side.

Good:-great seiyuus!
        -awesome soundtrack by Kaoru Wada (who also composed some Kingdom Hearts OST)
        -many bishies!heheh! xD
        -comedy & nice storyline
        -some fillers are related with manga (this is cool!)

Bad:-quality of the anime is...the worst! 
      -this anime has too many fillers! >_<

Trinity Blood

Plot Summary: The background is in the distant future after the destruction brought about by Armageddon. The war between the vampires and the humans continue to persist. In order to protect the humans from the vampires, Vatican has to rely on other allies to counter the situation. The protagonist, a priest called Peter Abel Nightroad, travels through the countries as a representative for the Vaticans. However, he is also part of "Ax", a special operations group controlled by the Cardinal Catherina. His encounter with a young girl called Esther will determine the struggle and survival between the human race and the vampires.

Good:-the characters are bishie & cute. xDD
        -cool OST & great OP & ED songs
        -most important...the story is great!it makes me wanna cry! T_T
        -have some romance genres <3

Bad:-the total episodes are too short!!
      -the ending was not really interesting

Ouran High School Host Club

Plot Summary: Haruhi is a poor tomboyish student at a school for the ultra-wealthy, able to attend because of a scholarship, and unable to even afford a uniform. One day, she stumbles across the decidedly peculiar but very popular Ouran Host Club. She tries to leave, but accidentally breaks a vase, and unable to pay for it, she's told that she'll have to stay and do odd jobs. That is, until they decide she would be more valuable as a club member. Not realizing she's female due to her appearance, they fix her up and give her a male uniform. She's an instant hit, so they decide to have her keep up the charade even after they find out the truth. Haruhi, being average almost to a fault, doesn't know what to make of the unconventional activities of the Host Club (or of the even more unconventional members), but having little choice, she plays along. Before long, real bonds are formed, friends made, and Haruhi finds herself accepted in a way she could never have been otherwise in this affluent school.

Good:-super seiyuus! ^_^
        -super funny!! xD
        -cute characters
        -some OST are really sweet & if you love the violin & other instruments' melodies,watch it!
        -studio animation rockz!

Bad:-the total episodes are too short *sigh*

Yamato Nadeshiko Shichi Henge

Plot Summary: Kyouhei, Ranmaru, Takenaga, and Yukinojou are beautiful, handsome, young men living in a huge mansion. One day, their landlord, whom they call "Auntie", asks them a favor: to make her niece, Sunako, who's going to be living with them, into a respectable young lady. She agrees to make their living expenses free of charge if they succeed, but if they fail, she'll triple their rent. Due to their confidence in knowing how to deal with women, they agree, but once they meet Sunako, they begin to realize that their lovely living arrangements may soon be in jeopardy.

Good:-the characters are so funny!
        -super cool & funny anime!
        -the OST is really awesome!you should listen it!

Bad:-...???I don't know coz I still haven't finish this anime yet! xD

Cursed Moon

Forum family

~Møon Li - Onee-san

Offline Myna

• New Fan
« Reply #8 on: July 07 2007, 12:07 pm »
Marchen Awakens Romance (MAR)

Plot Summary: Our main hero, Ginta Toramizu, is a 14 year old boy who has zero physical ability and dreams of fantasy worlds. Ginta's mother doesn't like him dreaming of them becaue his father mysteriously disappeared six years ago. But his friend Koyuki is the only one who believes him. One day, he was summoned to the world he dreamed of: MAR Heaven. He finds out that he was summoned so he could help defeat the Chess Pieces (Chess no Koma). Along the way, Ginta meets Babbo, Dorothy, Snow, Alan, Jack, Alviss and Nanashi who all become his allies.

Good:
- Awesome seiyuus!
- Great music
- Original characters
- Barely any fillers!
- Most of it stays with the manga

Bad:
- a little unoriginal with the whole magical items thing