AuthorTopic: Tsubasa Chronicle is getting from bad to worse...or is it just me?  (Read 20499 times)

Offline Takeru

• Former Staff
  • Obsessed Fan
Re: Tsubasa Chronicle is getting from bad to worse...or is it just me?
« Reply #60 on: February 09 2008, 03:42 am »
yea u're kinda right about that......................
.....................but............... ......................
nvm.............
I don't think u'll understand......................
...I'm sorry, what?

Kids, get your notes ready! Here is the basic formula for TRC: Throw all previous works in a blender. Press blend. Stop. Throw in a time travel machine, all concepts of parallel universes extrapolated upon by Michael Moorcock, two characters that are clearly designed to be exploited as a yaoi couple, and a talking manjuu. Press blend again. Stop. Clone Syaoran. Put both in the blender. Blend. Stop. Boom! You have TRC.

I lost patience quite early after the beginning of the show, so I only saw a few episodes into Season 2 before I got fed up with TRC.

My primary complaints about TRC are all surrounding the main characters. Syaoran is a soulless, mindless robot who is pretty much programmed to follow Sakura everywhere. How come he never cracks a joke, huh? He just sits there, nods his head whenever Sakura says something, and smiles blankly into space. Sakura herself lacks personality and fails to be as bubbly, giggly or even as resolute or determined as her CCS origin, instead simply being content with sitting on the sidelines while her robot does everything for her. She's HOPELESS! Even the reluctant, defiant "But I'm just a normal girl, I can't be a Cardcaptor" Episode 1 CCS Sakura had more determination than ANY TRC Sakura in ANY of the 30-odd episodes I've seen. You know what Sakuar needs? SAKURA. NEEDS. A SWORD. She needs to stand up for herself and not let her machine do all the work for her. It would be a WONDERFUL student-mentor relationship if Syaoran taught Sakura martial arts and swordsmanship. That would have made an excellent premise.

The most intriguing characters are always the SIDE characters. Fai and Kurogane are legions more interesting than Syaoran and Sakura will ever seem to be, and Chun Hyang is one of my personal favorites. And that's FINE, good job Clamp, well done, but what happened to the two characters that debuted at the pinnacle of your success, hmm?

TRC revolves entirely around action and mindless bravado to move the story forward. It has as much depth as 300 and about as much modesty. But at least Leonidas has more personality than Syaoran.

I just recently watched Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha. Amazing storyline. Wonderful characters. And heartbreaking. The first two seasons were, at least. Then in the third season, everyone grows up, we get a bunch of random characters from out of nowhere, and everything's all MILITARY THEMED. What is this, GUNDAM? And I watched this, and I was like, "Wow, I hate this show now." THAT basically summarizes my feelings of the relationship between CCS and TRC.
The world won't give me a chance. I'm done asking for one.

Offline hDuffr0x

^ I kinda agree with you.. most especially about Sakura being dull... but I still love the nime anyway...

Offline Arcademan

• Hero of CLOW Empire & the Arcademan Universe!
  • Warlord of Clow
  • > Supa-Dupa Fan! <
  • Warlord of CLOW!!!
...I'm sorry, what?

Kids, get your notes ready! Here is the basic formula for TRC: Throw all previous works in a blender. Press blend. Stop. Throw in a time travel machine, all concepts of parallel universes extrapolated upon by Michael Moorcock, two characters that are clearly designed to be exploited as a yaoi couple, and a talking manjuu. Press blend again. Stop. Clone Syaoran. Put both in the blender. Blend. Stop. Boom! You have TRC.

I lost patience quite early after the beginning of the show, so I only saw a few episodes into Season 2 before I got fed up with TRC.

My primary complaints about TRC are all surrounding the main characters. Syaoran is a soulless, mindless robot who is pretty much programmed to follow Sakura everywhere. How come he never cracks a joke, huh? He just sits there, nods his head whenever Sakura says something, and smiles blankly into space. Sakura herself lacks personality and fails to be as bubbly, giggly or even as resolute or determined as her CCS origin, instead simply being content with sitting on the sidelines while her robot does everything for her. She's HOPELESS! Even the reluctant, defiant "But I'm just a normal girl, I can't be a Cardcaptor" Episode 1 CCS Sakura had more determination than ANY TRC Sakura in ANY of the 30-odd episodes I've seen. You know what Sakuar needs? SAKURA. NEEDS. A SWORD. She needs to stand up for herself and not let her machine do all the work for her. It would be a WONDERFUL student-mentor relationship if Syaoran taught Sakura martial arts and swordsmanship. That would have made an excellent premise.

The most intriguing characters are always the SIDE characters. Fai and Kurogane are legions more interesting than Syaoran and Sakura will ever seem to be, and Chun Hyang is one of my personal favorites. And that's FINE, good job Clamp, well done, but what happened to the two characters that debuted at the pinnacle of your success, hmm?

TRC revolves entirely around action and mindless bravado to move the story forward. It has as much depth as 300 and about as much modesty. But at least Leonidas has more personality than Syaoran.

I just recently watched Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha. Amazing storyline. Wonderful characters. And heartbreaking. The first two seasons were, at least. Then in the third season, everyone grows up, we get a bunch of random characters from out of nowhere, and everything's all MILITARY THEMED. What is this, GUNDAM? And I watched this, and I was like, "Wow, I hate this show now." THAT basically summarizes my feelings of the relationship between CCS and TRC.

Wow, that was totally brutally honest on your part. However....you are ABSOLUTELY RIGHT!!! I agree with every single word you said about the TRC anime. Fantastic post :)

"Everything will surely be all right." 「絶対大丈夫だよ。」, "Zettai daijōbu da yo."
"Force without Master, heed the call of my Staff of Dreams, and become my power! SECURE!!!"
Neo-Geo: Come for the games, stay for teh drama!

Offline Kuro-puppy

• The heart of red will be enfolded in wind......
  • Former Staff
  • *Freak Fan?!*
  • ElioXCarol forever!
OT: agree with "....." about Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha. 3rd season is an okay anime in it's own right but with those 2 wonderfull seasons before it it turned out to be biggest dissappointment of 2007 if you compare them >.<
Join Zeldi's Forum

avatar and signature made by Zeldi

Forum Family:
Forum Wife ~ -=kuro_woof=-              Little Sis ~ Aya-chan
Little Bro ~ Kuri-san                                        another beloved Little Sis ~ Zeldi
Vampire Lover nicole_shimun

On an ephemeral evening, I tell a story to my friend.

Reflected behind my closed eyelids is a sweet field. Dauntless, I embrace you lovingly. I am together with you.

Out of love, I forge a pact with you. Like a breath, the wind will envelop you. You and I will be together wherever we go.

The heart of red will be enfolded in wind and forge the contract.