AuthorTopic: Fai - Character Discussion  (Read 166896 times)

Offline Meowzy

• cRAzY fan
  • Mystic catgirl
Re: Fai - Character Discussion
« Reply #140 on: January 26 2006, 06:28 pm »
Whoa! That sister thing would've been pretty awesome, but it'd be a little late for CLAMP to all of a sudden say he had a sister considering he's never mentioned her... Then again, he's never mentioned Chii, either... -_- How stupid is that? It's really getting old.. Did he forget she existed or something?

Yesh, but see, Fai never mentioned anything from his past. The only thing the gang vaguely knows is that he's running away from a guy who is sleeping there. It might be that Kurogane is the only one who knows his name is Ashura. Seeing Sakura and Syoaran weren't around that time Fai flinched when a guy said Ashura's name.
He never mentioned what kind of a magician he used to be, he never mentioned anything about his family... Oh, he did mention that his country is cold, though.  But that's not sayin' much.
The sister thing... it could be a possibility.

Actually, I sometimes thought that maybe Fai's tattoo surpresses all magic. Not just 'I'm going psycho' magic. Then again, that would mean Fai would be pretty damn useless as a mage, wouldn't he? XD
Mage 1: Hey, let's go to the bar!
Mage 2: Alright!
Fai: Can I come too?...
Mage 1: ... No. It's a... magic only bar. For REAL mages.
Fai: Awwwwww... V_V

Credit for the siggie to bLuetopaz! Icon by me!
Do not be distraught. Always with the end, comes hope and rebirth.
Remember Hideki Campaign: Chi's one and only 'Someone Just for Me'.

Offline Sheepworld

• New Fan
  • What? What? What?
« Reply #141 on: February 16 2006, 05:54 pm »
Well, since chapter 106 came out, I guess (read as: praying like hell in front of the almighty nodding cat) that we'll soon find out Fai's reason for not using magic. I think that I'll miss speculating, speculating was fun, but then again, not knowing was killing me.

Whoa! That sister thing would've been pretty awesome, but it'd be a little late for CLAMP to all of a sudden say he had a sister considering he's never mentioned her... Then again, he's never mentioned Chii, either...  How stupid is that? It's really getting old.. Did he forget she existed or something?

It would be intersting, though, but if it was true it would rule out the possibility of the FaixChi romantic relationship...sort of. :sweatdrop:
Go! Go! GO!

Offline AkaiYuki

• Kuro-GANE?!? Dun dun duuunnn... o.o
  • "A True Fan"
  • Kuro-samaaa! Yahoo!
« Reply #142 on: February 16 2006, 06:09 pm »
It would be intersting, though, but if it was true it would rule out the possibility of the FaixChi romantic relationship...sort of. :sweatdrop:

Ick, ruling out the possiblility of Fai and Chii in a romantic relationship is NO problem with me whatsoever! In fact, I'd prefer for it to be ruled out ASAP! XD

Anyway, OMG my fellow Fai fans!!! What do you guys think will become of this whole whistling thing?! Fai will DEFINITELY have some explaining to do in the next chapter, but how can we possibly just wait around for the next week or so to find out?!?! I mean, what ELSE could he be lying about? ((He probably reads kanji like a pro and can eat with chopsticks blind-folded! XD Heh heh, JK...))

I bet there will be tons of theorizing going on in here for a while, ne? XD
.:The Poem of the Wind and Trees:.

KuroFai fans! Click the link and vote for KF!

Vote for KUROFAI!

Offline Meowzy

• cRAzY fan
  • Mystic catgirl
« Reply #143 on: February 16 2006, 11:52 pm »

And that's... bad?...

I wonder how the anime will depict that whistling. Will it be just one short whistle? Or a short tune? Or maybe it starts as a short tune, and then echoes into this big pretty song in the background. ^_^
Will it be Fai's theme, or something completely new and mystical?
(I think about the stupidest things, don't I?)

Offline Jeannette

• Official KuroFai Advocate
  • Dedicated Fan
  • Souma <3
« Reply #144 on: February 17 2006, 12:24 am »

And that's... bad?...

I completely agree with Meowzy. That's bad how exactly? And besides, I've never had any trouble ruling out the possibility of FaixChi. Chi has Hideki. End of story.

I wonder how the anime will depict that whistling. Will it be just one short whistle? Or a short tune? Or maybe it starts as a short tune, and then echoes into this big pretty song in the background. ^_^
Will it be Fai's theme, or something completely new and mystical?
(I think about the stupidest things, don't I?)

No, that's a good question. I think it will be something more than simply a whistle, though. You can pull that off in a manga, but it would be harder in an anime; it would seem more anticlimatic. I think it would probably be a new tune, though.

Somebody mentioned in the Chapitre 106 thread that this completely destroys the theory that Fai hasn't been using his magic because he can't control it very well. I agree; just thought I'd mention that. 'Course, I have the feeling that a great many of our theories are going to be destroyed once we finally find out what exactly happened in Fai's past.
Sign the Petition for Equality: millionformarriage.org

My Livejournal CLAMP Yuri Com My Fanfiction My Graphics Sandcastles

Every time you rape the canon, God kills a kitten. Please, think of the kittens.

My Forum Wife: hoshisenshi - My Sister-in-Law: AkaiYuki - My Sister: Capella - Pet Doggy: Quimmy

Proud Member of the Remember Hideki Campaign

Offline Meowzy

• cRAzY fan
  • Mystic catgirl
« Reply #145 on: February 17 2006, 12:27 am »
Okay, guys, I pulled out my volume 3 of the manga. Remeber inside that castle, when they were going in circles? The minute Syaoran picked up that pebble, to show they were going around in circles, Fai went Hyuu for the first time. The very first Hyuu.
Fai says: I don't feel like walking anymore.
And he uses his 'sense' on the wall. That shows that he used that hyuu to activate the 'sense'.

-2 Hyuu's in the battle with... what's her name. That witch. Later on, Kurogane asks: If you don't want to die, can't you atleast try to use your magic?
Fai responds with: No, sorry.
Does this mean Fai tried twice, but failed both times?

-In Volume 4, Fai goes Hyuuu after Kurogane knocks the gun out of that villager's hand in... Jade country. But there doesn't seem to be any sort of magic following it up. Maybe he was actually impressed this time?

-Another Jade country Hyuu after Syaoran and Sakura get pulled out of the water. (after that whole castle scene) Again, no magic seems to follow up, nor is there any reason why Fai would attempt to use magic. Maybe to cover up all the real Hyuu's, he's using them randomly too?

-In Outo, before Fai 'writes down' their names, I see a some sort of musical "Hmm?" (kinda hard to explain. But there's a musical note there.) Could it have anything to do with what Fai says later on? That magicians are really good at drawing? Later on, when he's drawing the sign for the Cat's eye, he's actually sorta singing...

-One thing I noticed is that in Outo, when Fai and Kurogane are fighting in front of the Clover bar, Fai doesn't attempt a Hyuu once. Did he realise they're in a game, and his power is useless there? During the battle with Seishiro, there was still no Hyuu. Only a quick mention of not wanting to use his magic. Hmmm....

-No Hyuu in the Shara/Shurano/whatever those countries are called saga... But then again, you hardly see Fai in that saga. It's mostly Kurogane battling.

-Fai goes Hyuu in the first race of Pfiffle country, after Syaoran avoids a sudden 'windstorm'. Not much magic affialated with it. I think he was just impressed.
Though a few pages later, Kurogane says: We just have to seize the feather and transport to another world before anyone can react.
Fai says: You never know, we might have to do that in the end.
Fortune telling, perhaps?

-A minor Hyuu when Fai and Kurogane are watching the news, and there's a big zoom on Kurogane's face.

-After Sakura wins the race, Fai goes Hyuu again.
Kurogane: I told you to quit saying that sound.
Fai: But I tried practicing in Yamano country and I couldn't do it. (What is Yamano country?...)
He swore not to use his magic, yet still practises whistling? How does that make sense?

-Strange though, that in LeCourt's central library, when Fai touches that wall, he doesn't go Hyuu.... Fai does however start Pyuu-ing when those strange dragonlike creatures attack. He says it sounds almost like a whistle, and continues doing it.

-After getting LeCourt's feather, and discovering the guard dog is waiting for them, Fai manages another pyuu. Another random pyuu as they escape... And another Pyuu after watching Fai's hat melt... A pyuu as the dog lunges towards them and then.... The REAL DEAL!
A nice double pyuu (most likely real whistling) as the magic appears.

Aaaand that took me about two hours. @_@
« Last Edit: February 17 2006, 02:13 am by Meowzy »

Offline Jeannette

• Official KuroFai Advocate
  • Dedicated Fan
  • Souma <3
« Reply #146 on: February 17 2006, 12:29 am »
Oooh, nice. Yes, do please keep doing that. I think it will be fascinating to see what pops out.
Sign the Petition for Equality: millionformarriage.org

My Livejournal CLAMP Yuri Com My Fanfiction My Graphics Sandcastles

Every time you rape the canon, God kills a kitten. Please, think of the kittens.

My Forum Wife: hoshisenshi - My Sister-in-Law: AkaiYuki - My Sister: Capella - Pet Doggy: Quimmy

Proud Member of the Remember Hideki Campaign

Offline Meowzy

• cRAzY fan
  • Mystic catgirl
« Reply #147 on: February 17 2006, 04:35 am »
We should make like... some big Hyuu list. Everyone can add the hyuu-s I've missed, plus those in the anime! Muahahahah!

It's odd though, that Fai could transport to the witch without having to whistle. Was it because of the staff? I would assume so. But then what has the tattoo got to do with it?

Offline Sheepworld

• New Fan
  • What? What? What?
« Reply #148 on: February 17 2006, 05:38 am »
I completely agree with Meowzy. That's bad how exactly? And besides, I've never had any trouble ruling out the possibility of FaixChi. Chi has Hideki. End of story

Eh? Oh no, don't get me wrong, even though I have a strange craving for unusual pairings, I'm not a huge fan of FaixChi. I've always supported Hideki and Chi's relationship (wonder if there's a Hideki in Fai's world) I was just saying that for the benefit of any FaixChi fans out there. The '...sort of' and the sweatdrop were because I started thinking about the incest implied relationship if Fai did have a sister who Chi was based and if people pair them together anyway and...I'm just digging myself into a bigger hole here, aren't I?

...Um...ehehe...anyway...I'm curious about the tattoo thing too. If the tattoo isn't there to control Fai's magic then what was it there for? If it was an enhancer or something used to concentrate his magic, I don't think that he would have been so reluctant to part with it. My bet is that it has something to do with Ashura. Maybe it was a link to the seal on Ashura's coffin-thing. Fai asked Chi to tell him when Ashura woke up but how is Chi supposed to do this unless she has magic of her own or they have some telepathic link of some sort. Maybe the tattoo and the seal were like some voodoo, magical walkie talkie thing so Fai would know when Ashura wakes up.

Actually, that's a lame theory, better yet, maybe the tattoo was supposed to drain some of Fai's power and route it via some sort of astral, astrophysical connection to the seal where Fai's power holds the seal on Ashura in place. So baisically, the tattoo and seal are like a power cable to keep Ashura sleeping using Fai's magic...but if that was true Ashura would be awake since Fai does not have the tattoo anymore.

See, this is why I'm never opening my own detective agency
Go! Go! GO!

Offline Emiko

• cRAzY fan
  • Improvise.
« Reply #149 on: February 17 2006, 06:32 am »
Somebody mentioned in the Chapitre 106 thread that this completely destroys the theory that Fai hasn't been using his magic because he can't control it very well. I agree; just thought I'd mention that. 'Course, I have the feeling that a great many of our theories are going to be destroyed once we finally find out what exactly happened in Fai's past.

Yeah, that was me ^^. Most of our theories are probably going to sound ridiculous once the real story comes out and we all look back in retrospect. CLAMP is probably going to knock our socks off yet again. Personally I've never thought that Fai can't control his magic, so I was happy to see him using it with such easy familiarity. Even in it's raw state, it's obvious that he's in complete control of it. I wonder if there will be any consequences, physical or otherwise (and I don't just mean maybe this will awaken Ashura) of him using it to save them?

On the hyuus.... This is my theory...

Whistling activates his magic. I, for one, believe that Fai is in total and complete control of his powers. I think that when Fai says "I can't whistle", he means, "I can't whistle because that would bring forth my magic". So, whenever he says "hyuu", it's just a placeholder, something he says instead of a whistle to express happiness, etc. Maybe on Celes he made it up because he's never been able to whistle without his magic activating, but he wants to express certain emotions just the same.

I don't think 'hyuus' are failed attempts at magic; I think they're just an expression he uses in place of whistling. I think the little, almost-magics he's done are just certain things that magic-users inherit or are naturally skilled at, such as being able to sense other sources of magic and power, kind of like Kuro-rin can sense his opponents. He's become attuned to it, is probably constantly aware of it just like Kuro-tan's constantly aware of whoever's watching him.

The little whistles he does in the previous chapters... I'm not completely sure. I tend to shy away from the ideas of those being failed magics. Maybe there were little things he did that haven't been revealed yet, or that they will reveal in greater detail later, or maybe Fai was just getting back into the groove for the inevitable confrontation.

Anyway, that's just my theory.
Cold be heart and hand and bone
Cold be travelers far from home
They do not see what lies ahead
When sun has failed and moon is dead

Emiko's Forum Family
Wives: Becster & meliwan <3
Sisters: Kjesta, envyofthestage

Offline AkaiYuki

• "A True Fan"
  • Kuro-samaaa! Yahoo!
« Reply #150 on: February 17 2006, 12:18 pm »
Ah! I really hope there isn't a Hideki in Celes.. I HATE Hideki and if he's there it'd ruin EVERYTHING for me!!!!!

Anyway, back to Fai Fai. Yeah, it was a good idea, Meowzy, but I don't think it was actually failed magic... I really think it was just for cuteness! XD Still, it was a cool thought! I bet CLAMP wishes they thought of it! XD But I guess it still wouldn't work because I doubt he'd even try to use magic considering he can't use it right now.. (For whatever reason...)

But anyway, I think he could transport out of his world without whistling because I doubt he *has* to whistle to use magic, I'm pretty sure it's just one way of doing it, you know?

And again the tattoo remains a mystery! Maybe it has nothing to do with his magic at all.. Maybe it just has some kind of sentimental value to him or something...

Vote for KUROFAI!

Offline Meowzy

• cRAzY fan
  • Mystic catgirl
« Reply #151 on: February 17 2006, 10:37 pm »
Yeah... But also... the staff. There's a chapter pic where you see Ashura holding that very same staff. And Fai seemed quite keen to get rid of it.

I got a faint idea he stole the staff from Ashura, because the staff ensures he doesn't have to whistle to active his magic. As Yuuko said, his magic comes from elsewhere. And it would seem logical Fai wouldn't need the staff anymore, if he's not going to try to use magic after that. Ofcourse, once he realises they are in danger (the circling in that palace, the sabotages in Pfiffle, the guarddogs in LeCourt) he would attempt to whistle again. He wouldn't endanger his friends.
Also, it would answer the question of "How did Fai seal Ashura, if he doesn't want to/can't use his magic?"
But then that leaves one question. Why could he suddenly not whistle? Did someone (Ashura?) do something to him, so that he couldn't whistle anymore? Or maybe after causing a huuuuge rampage (again, the rampant magic theory) his selfconfidence was broken, and he just couldn't whistle? (Like in episode 13 of Gravitation, when Shuichi spontanuously loses his voice)

Heh, the speculation continues.

Offline Emiko

• cRAzY fan
  • Improvise.
« Reply #152 on: February 18 2006, 03:15 am »
Another thing about the magic is that they've been in danger before, but Fai hasn't used magic to save them, which might support the "failed attempts at magic" theory. I've always interpreted the whole "can't use magic, sorry" thing to be Fai's refusal to use it, but now he's just randomly broken his oath, and more than anything I want to know what made him decide (if it was a decision, or if he's been trying all along to use it) to do it.

I don't know if it was a completely, 100% selfless decision. There might yet be a specific reason why Fai finally decided to use it at this point in time. At the beginning, Fai says that he'll help out as long as it doesn't endanger him. Fai's pretty focused on himself; he's kind of a selfish character, but when the backstory comes out we'll most likely finally understand much more about his motivation. But other than that, Fai's shown that he really doesn't care about his life (in Outo, when Kurogane mentioned that he wasn't making any effort to stay alive).

I think he's decided to use it because he's finally realizing, through the course of the journey, that letting himself get killed isn't what he wants anymore. The friendships he's developed are probably becoming much more important to him.

Or something like that :heh:

Emiko's Forum Family

Offline AkaiYuki

• "A True Fan"
  • Kuro-samaaa! Yahoo!
« Reply #153 on: February 18 2006, 03:28 am »
Hmm, I just really don't agree with the failed attempt at magic theory.. I'd like to think Fai is more powerful than that... I really think he decided to use it because now he knew he had to. At any other time, Syao and Kuro were strong enough to save them and I think Fai knew that. But now, he realized that to get out of this pinch, he had to use his magic.

However, what I just said wouldn't explain why he let himself get killed in Outo unless he somehow knew it was a game. Or like Marla-Swann just said, maybe only now has he started to truly value the friendship he has with the group and so now he really wants to live. Maybe back then he simply didn't care. (But again, maybe it was the game thing...)

Vote for KUROFAI!

Offline Meowzy

• cRAzY fan
  • Mystic catgirl
« Reply #154 on: February 18 2006, 03:44 am »
Hmm, I just really don't agree with the failed attempt at magic theory.. I'd like to think Fai is more powerful than that... I really think he decided to use it because now he knew he had to. At any other time, Syao and Kuro were strong enough to save them and I think Fai knew that. But now, he realized that to get out of this pinch, he had to use his magic.

Yeah, but there's one thing that really picked my interest. Remember in the library, Kurogane and Syaoran are fighting those dragon things, Fai uses his first pyuu?
He says something like "Oooh listen! Doesnt that sound almost like a real whistle?" As though he's proud of it.
My theory:He knows that he's improving. That's why he keeps Pyuu-ing, during the fleeing scene. He knows he's getting close to a real whistle. As the watchdog attacks, he Pyuu-s again a few times, and then reaches a real whistle.

Offline Emiko

• cRAzY fan
  • Improvise.
« Reply #155 on: February 18 2006, 07:27 am »
Yeah, but there's one thing that really picked my interest. Remember in the library, Kurogane and Syaoran are fighting those dragon things, Fai uses his first pyuu?
He says something like "Oooh listen! Doesnt that sound almost like a real whistle?" As though he's proud of it.

I wouldn't put it past Fai to say something like that purely to save face/annoy Kurogane. Maybe he whistled to use magic, or out of habit, and then covered it up by acting surprised that he could do it so that nobody would figure out that he was lying.

Or maybe not. Gaaaah, next week cannot possibly come fast enough!

Emiko's Forum Family

Offline Ruby Chan

• Yet Another Anime Obsessive
  • "Die-Hard Fan!"
  • KuroFai Love
« Reply #156 on: February 20 2006, 04:44 am »
I agree with the refusal to use his magic - I've always thought that there was something in his past that made him not want to use it, or that it would call out to and possible wake up Ashura. I can't see him simply failing to use it....it has to be something deeper than that.

By the way, has anyone wondered whether he's a bit like Chii from Chobits? With a darker personality inside, I mean. Just those looks he gest sometimes...and his not-so-flippant remarks....

My Fanfiction              AnimeFicathon             My LJ
FORUM FAMILY -  Hori ~ Little Sister    Sakaki ~ Big Sister    Fai ~ Little Sister    VexNet ~ Big Brother
OniiChanTouya - Little Sister    Zeldi ~ Cousin     Pikari ~ Big Sister   lika-chi ~ Cousin     AkaiYuki ~ Aunt        Dragonia ~ Cousin       soficacardcaptors ~ Big Sister      bLuetopaz ~ Big Sister       S.Espoire ~ Cousin      
Charme* ~ Little Sister        Starfire ~ Big Sister      Asuka-chan ~ Little Sister

Offline Kirtai

• Donators
  • Big Fan
  • When eternity is not too long...
« Reply #157 on: February 20 2006, 07:15 am »
My theory on the whistling?  He *acts* happy when he says that it sounds like a real whistle, but I don't think he actually is happy that he can do it, based on the last page of the chapter (the expression on his face.)  My theory, is that possibly, it has something to do with Ashura waking?  I think it is possible that the fact he can whistle all of a sudden might be Chi's warning.  I don't have much evidence to back this theory up with, but I wanted to toss it out there anyway.  I just get a feeling.
 :lurk:

Offline Meowzy

• cRAzY fan
  • Mystic catgirl
« Reply #158 on: February 20 2006, 07:31 am »
That's pretty interesting. After Fai Hyuu-s for the first time, he's pretty anxious to continue the journey.
"I don't feel like walking anymore." is what he says.
It could be that the closer he gets to a whistle, the closer Ashura is to waking up. But... I don't know... It just doesn't seem quite right.

Offline envyofthestage

• Big Fan
  • Fai/Kuro is my OTP.
« Reply #159 on: February 20 2006, 08:40 am »
What is that long black line behind Fai that he looks like he's sitting on? In the whistling bit?
lol@Fai/Chi fans

~*~*~*Forum Family~*~*~*~*

Daughter: Kjesta
Sister: Emiko