AuthorTopic: Fai - Character Discussion  (Read 166806 times)

Offline Sailor Yue-chan

• Vampire <3 FTW
  • *Freak Fan?!*
  • So many yaoi OTPs.... so litlte time =3
Re: Fai - Character Discussion
« Reply #420 on: July 20 2006, 04:13 am »
ch 122 = fai' isNOT going to betray them, nor is he "EVIL"

no one evil would...
Show content
purposefully sacrifice their eye+magic for a friend like he did O_O
-----
When you fall in love, gender does not matter. You can't help who your heart chooses, it just HAPPENS. So don't try to fight it, you'll only end up hurt.

-----
Please contribute to my TVRage Tsubasa Chronicle Guide
-----
Part of the Remember Hideki comittee/antiBeetrain comittee
-----
Online mangas @msn:
Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLeS
xxxHOLIC
Forum Family:
Lil Sis:
Kairi
Cousin: kudan
Big Sis: Møon Li
Twin:Tatasenko

not mine

Offline Emiko

• cRAzY fan
  • Improvise.
« Reply #421 on: July 20 2006, 07:26 am »
It's true that the Evi!Fai theory has little to no momentum now. Though... nobody in CLAMP is really "evil". There's always some sort of motivation or misunderstandingn to explain a villain's actions. So I'm not entirely convinced that Fai is guiltless in regards to his past, however, I don't think it's very likely that he's going to betray the group at this point. Unless past demons are too much to overcome...

*shakes head* No. No. Fai won't betray them willingly.
Cold be heart and hand and bone
Cold be travelers far from home
They do not see what lies ahead
When sun has failed and moon is dead

Emiko's Forum Family
Wives: Becster & meliwan <3
Sisters: Kjesta, envyofthestage

Offline Kirtai

• Donators
  • Big Fan
  • When eternity is not too long...
« Reply #422 on: July 20 2006, 08:47 am »
As far as waking up Ashura, I think (for myself anyway) people who feel that the use of his magic puts him in danger are operating on a "one ring" kind of understanding.  Like how in LOTR, Frodo can't use the ring because the dark lord will sense its power?  I think that maybe Fai is afraid to use his magic because Ashura might be able to trace it.  Just a theory that I know others have as well.

Offline Emiko

• cRAzY fan
  • Improvise.
« Reply #423 on: July 20 2006, 09:10 am »
ZOMG! Fai is Frodo! *loves*

Does that make Kurogane Sam?

(And I agree with Fai's refusal to use magic to be something to do with Ashura directly. I've always gotten the feeling that using it will make it easier for Ashura to find him, or perhaps even lift the seal on the coffin or something along those lines)

"I'm glad I'm with you, Kuro-rin, here at the end of all things..."

Emiko's Forum Family

Offline Capella

• The Ashura family owns my soul
  • Obsessed Fan
  • Anti-God - Ashura
« Reply #424 on: July 20 2006, 09:16 am »
As far as waking up Ashura, I think (for myself anyway) people who feel that the use of his magic puts him in danger are operating on a "one ring" kind of understanding.  Like how in LOTR, Frodo can't use the ring because the dark lord will sense its power?  I think that maybe Fai is afraid to use his magic because Ashura might be able to trace it.  Just a theory that I know others have as well.

Oh, I get it. *Has never read LotR*  I wonder how Ashura-ou would be able to trace Fai's magic across dimensions? Unless he's got some kind of tie to Fai's power...
The  "Remember Hideki" Campaign: Chii's one and only "someone just for me."
Come here to join!

My Forum Family
Elder Sister = Jeannette
Cousin = Becster

Offline wetheril

• New Fan
  • TRCholic
« Reply #425 on: July 20 2006, 09:28 am »
In my opinion...
1) I don't Fai's magic is destructive in and of itself, as so far we've seen him use it to transform Chii, transport Fai to Yuuko's, sense things, protect the group in Rekord, and try to stop Syaoran's soul from leaving him (also to seal Ashura-ou and create Chii). All of these, whether when Fai had his marking or after he gave it to Yuuko, were controlled and non-violent. The only time we've seen Fai's magic used destructively was by soullessclone!Syaoran. So I don't think his magic could be inherently destructive.
2) I know a lot of people believe that, but I don't see any evidence for it in the story. I mean, why would using magic break the seal on Ashura-ou? Unless Fai needs all his magic to be stable and focussed on maintaining the seal, which also doesn't make sense because then wouldn't it have broken when he transported himself to Yuuko's? That used a fairly large amount of power. I just don't see any support for the theory.
3) Possibly. He could not really have the will to defend himself, though he'll use it to help Syaoran, Sakura, Kurogane, et al.
4) I like that theory. Fai was a warrior of some sort, and he could be averse to continuing in that vein, for reasons related to all those dead people.

As to Fai's power, he says that if he used all his magical powers, getting from one dimension to the next would be all he could do. So he could have done it, but it sounds like it wouldn't have been worth it. The power to traverse multiple dimensions is a big deal - the price to gain it is more than one person can pay. Four people had to sacrifice what was most important to them for it. This is significantly larger than the price of godhood. Not to mention that we haven't seen anyone with the ability to do so other than Yuuko, Fei-Wong Reed, and people who were give the power by the former two. Clow probably also had the power. So Fai is very powerful indeed, but not on that level. (I wonder if this means Ashura-ou will have to go to Yuuko if he wants to chase Fai. Hm, I wonder what he'd have to pay. His right eye?)

Sorry if this detracts from discussing Fay for a bit, but I will get back on topic soon enough. I have the feeling that such powerful people like Yuuko and Clow probably have restrictions too, such as lines they are not supposed to cross without a price. Yuuko has the power to grant wishes, and she does help them on the journey, but she doesn't do it unconditionally. I've wondered if Yuuko and Clow had to pay a price for their power, which is why Yuuko always asks for something in return for a wish granted. On the other hand, FWR obviously doesn't want to pay whatever price, hence why he's after Sakura, the key that unlocks the power in the ruins (and collecting souls along the side).

And back to Fay--I think he is powerful enough magic-wise to transport himself more than once, but the price he has to pay to do it again (after the first time) would be too high if he were to use his own magic, that basically, it ties back to what Capella said--it wouldn't be feasable. My theory is that he went to Yuuko's shop because he knew about the others arriving, and that the only way he'd be able to travel dimensions with as little consequence as possible is to combine his wish with Syaoran, Sakura, and Kurogane.

Offline Kirtai

• Donators
  • Big Fan
« Reply #426 on: July 20 2006, 11:08 am »
ZOMG! Fai is Frodo! *loves*
Does that make Kurogane Sam?
"I'm glad I'm with you, Kuro-rin, here at the end of all things..."

Teehee, "Fai wouldn't have gotten far without his Kuro-pon..."

Offline Emiko

• cRAzY fan
  • Improvise.
« Reply #427 on: July 21 2006, 12:44 am »
Teehee, "Fai wouldn't have gotten far without his Kuro-pon..."

:XD: Imagine Kuro carrying Fai up Mount Doom, haha.
« Last Edit: July 21 2006, 01:24 am by Emiko »

Emiko's Forum Family

Offline Capella

• Obsessed Fan
  • Anti-God - Ashura
« Reply #428 on: July 21 2006, 12:09 pm »
Sorry if this detracts from discussing Fay for a bit, but I will get back on topic soon enough. I have the feeling that such powerful people like Yuuko and Clow probably have restrictions too, such as lines they are not supposed to cross without a price. Yuuko has the power to grant wishes, and she does help them on the journey, but she doesn't do it unconditionally. I've wondered if Yuuko and Clow had to pay a price for their power, which is why Yuuko always asks for something in return for a wish granted. On the other hand, FWR obviously doesn't want to pay whatever price, hence why he's after Sakura, the key that unlocks the power in the ruins (and collecting souls along the side).

And back to Fay--I think he is powerful enough magic-wise to transport himself more than once, but the price he has to pay to do it again (after the first time) would be too high if he were to use his own magic, that basically, it ties back to what Capella said--it wouldn't be feasable. My theory is that he went to Yuuko's shop because he knew about the others arriving, and that the only way he'd be able to travel dimensions with as little consequence as possible is to combine his wish with Syaoran, Sakura, and Kurogane.

That's an interesting idea, a price for great power. We know that Yuuko can't interfere without someone wishing for it (I wonder about how that works, but I think that's more technical than CLAMP would actually explain). We don't know Clow's restrictions, but his power seems to have been a great burden on him.

I think Fai went to Yuuko's because he didn't feel he could escape well enough on his own, he (like a bunch of other magical people in different dimensions) knew that the Dimension Witch would grant any wish if paid the appropriate price, and he was willing to pay whatever she wanted to get himself as far away from Celes and Ashura-ou as possible. Yeah, the simple answer.
Come here to join!

My Forum Family
Elder Sister = Jeannette
Cousin = Becster

Offline Emiko

• cRAzY fan
  • Improvise.
« Reply #429 on: July 21 2006, 01:25 pm »
That brings up the whole question of how Fai knew about Yuuko, as he's the only one of the group who conciously sent himself to her. I wonder if that knowledge will have any effect in the storyline? Maybe it's just one of those things that can be blamed on Fai being magical, lol.

Emiko's Forum Family

Offline mela

• cRAzY fan
« Reply #430 on: July 21 2006, 01:54 pm »
That brings up the whole question of how Fai knew about Yuuko, as he's the only one of the group who conciously sent himself to her. I wonder if that knowledge will have any effect in the storyline? Maybe it's just one of those things that can be blamed on Fai being magical, lol.
I was wondering that myself, unless Yuuko has like, an interdimensional advertisment running promoting her services :XD:

Offline Emiko

• cRAzY fan
  • Improvise.
« Reply #431 on: July 21 2006, 02:03 pm »
I was wondering that myself, unless Yuuko has like, an interdimensional advertisment running promoting her services :XD:

She has an infomercial running 24/7 on all interdimensional cable networks, I'm sure. :XD:

Oh, I love Yuuko. :love9:

Emiko's Forum Family

Offline Kirtai

• Donators
  • Big Fan
« Reply #432 on: July 21 2006, 02:19 pm »
Yup, that is so Yuuko.  She loves to sell her services... maybe he found it while "using" Chi! Erosite, ne? Although, I think Fai would be browsing a different kind of Erosite than Hideki cause he's gay.. I asked my sister who is less fangirly than me today to imagine Fai straight...she just started laughing..

Offline Capella

• Obsessed Fan
  • Anti-God - Ashura
« Reply #433 on: July 21 2006, 10:28 pm »
Yuuko totally has an infomercial. Oh, Yuuko.

Well, Fai's not the only one - Yukito, Tomoyo, Sorata and Arashi, Shura Country's Ashura...they all know Yuuko. I guess that when magical/spiritual communities learn about the multiple dimensions, they learn about Yuuko somehow. Maybe all of them learned about her from their magic teachers? One wonders how these different worlds find out about Yuuko, anyway. From people in other worlds who already know? Yuuko has connections, so I wouldn't be surprised.
Come here to join!

My Forum Family
Elder Sister = Jeannette
Cousin = Becster

Offline Rekall

• It's spelled C.A.N.O.N
  • Super Fan
  • made by evercool on LJ
« Reply #434 on: July 22 2006, 02:19 am »
My guess is that some point in history Yuuko did something extremely powerful related to magic and that's how the mage users know who she is.  I imagine if you asked them about Clow they would know him as well.
LiveJournal - RG Veda LJ Community - Fanfiction.net Account - Ficwad Account

Proud Member of The "Remember Hideki" Campaign

Offline Sailor Yue-chan

• Vampire <3 FTW
  • *Freak Fan?!*
  • So many yaoi OTPs.... so litlte time =3
« Reply #435 on: July 22 2006, 08:41 am »
yuuko DOES travel thru dimensions on the ocasionaly. heck, she has an interdimensional portal in her closet that takes her across the globe (RE: internet addict arc)

anyways, lets bring the discussion back to the loveable fai-chan ^^
-----
When you fall in love, gender does not matter. You can't help who your heart chooses, it just HAPPENS. So don't try to fight it, you'll only end up hurt.

-----
Please contribute to my TVRage Tsubasa Chronicle Guide
-----
Part of the Remember Hideki comittee/antiBeetrain comittee
-----
Online mangas @msn:
Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLeS
xxxHOLIC
Forum Family:
Lil Sis:
Kairi
Cousin: kudan
Big Sis: Møon Li
Twin:Tatasenko

not mine

Offline Smile_For_Me

• Smile For Someone you love
  • cRAzY fan
  • Before it all goes wrong again............
« Reply #436 on: July 22 2006, 03:19 pm »
Do you think Fai might have Celtic orgins??? There was a big war/legend that happend somewhere along the way in Celtic stories.

Fai, for all we know, could mostlikely see the future for a short time, or is just very observent, when or how he found out about Yuuko. What I think is that those with strong powers, know Yuuko, be it from other magic people to storys and legends.
CLAMP HAS KILLED ME

Offline Capella

• Obsessed Fan
  • Anti-God - Ashura
« Reply #437 on: July 22 2006, 10:04 pm »
Do you think Fai might have Celtic orgins??? There was a big war/legend that happend somewhere along the way in Celtic stories.

There are big wars in most mythologies, so I don't think that really means much. Besides, Fai is of Celesian origin - I don't think it's based upon any actual culture in particular. Just somewhere very cold, covered in ice, with magic.
Come here to join!

My Forum Family
Elder Sister = Jeannette
Cousin = Becster

Offline mela

• cRAzY fan
« Reply #438 on: July 23 2006, 12:19 am »

For some reason Fai always struck me as more a Scandinavian type than anything, especially because of the runes and how he is from a cold country and the blonde hair and fair skin and all that jazz. Or maybe I am just biased because I'm scandinavian by heritage  :XD:

Offline envyofthestage

• Big Fan
  • Fai/Kuro is my OTP.
« Reply #439 on: July 24 2006, 04:45 am »
Yeah, i'd say Scandinavian too. But I do think that CLAMP has base their worlds on actual places and/or myths. So maybe, Fai was created with Scandinavian ideas. Or Russian. His language looks awfully Russian and/or Celtic runes.
lol@Fai/Chi fans

~*~*~*Forum Family~*~*~*~*

Daughter: Kjesta
Sister: Emiko