AuthorTopic: Fruits Basket Manga Discussion *SPOILERS*  (Read 19460 times)

Offline Sakaki

• "Die-Hard Fan!"
Fruits Basket Manga Discussion *SPOILERS*
« on: June 28 2005, 03:17 pm »
I thought maybe it would be good to have a new thread where we can discuss the plot and characters of Fruits Basket more in depth and without having to use the hidden spoiler tags every time.
I say spoilers are okay here as long as we specify about what book they are from before posting them.

So, saying that, there are big spoilers for book 10 in this post!!

I just finished Book 10 and A LOT has happened with the characters and relationships.
Has anyone else read through book 10 or all you all even farther than that?

Shigure was up to alot in this book and I'm really getting curious as to what he's up to.
I can see him pairing people up, such as Mayu (the female teacher) and Hatori.
I figured that somehow she knew all about them by the way she acted towards the Souma guys in her class.
He's also pushing Kyo and Yuki towards Tohru, but I don't think he's doing it to bring them closer to her so much as to bring them closer to each other.

Remember early in the series when Shigure has a conversation with Kyo?
Kyo says he hates Yuki and he likes hating him.
Shigure says that Kyo's eyes say otherwise, and that Kyo is afraid to stop hating Yuki because of what he will find out. Kyo gets angry and runs out.

We also find out more about Shi-san and Hatori's past in this book, and Yuki finally tells Tohru that he loves her.
And what does everyone think about Kureno (the rooster guy)?
He's hardly allowed to ever even leave!

Has anyone read farther ahead in this?
Can anyone tell me when they tell that Akito is a woman?
Which chapter is that in?

Offline Zeldi

• Former Staff
  • "Die-Hard Fan!"
  • Independent Love Song
Re: Fruits Basket Manga Discussion *SPOILERS*
« Reply #1 on: June 28 2005, 06:14 pm »
i´ve just buyed book 10 so i don´t know more then u ^-^

Offline Fai

• Utter Silence
  • Dedicated Fan
  • Hide that rum!!
« Reply #2 on: August 03 2005, 12:25 pm »
I only have the first book..I want more! I'm just to broke to buy any more manga ^^;

I just found out that Akito was a woman..I was surprised...

Set by Hachi
Ashlee and I love our Rum!
~~~~~~~
Fourm Family.:.
Onee-chan.:.Ruby-chan.:.Zeldi.:. AkaiYuki.:.Hori.:. moezy-chan.:.babypiggy.:.Miharu Endoh.:.bLuetopaz.:.Shiunu.:.Ashlee
Oniichan.:.VexNet
Imoto-chan.:.Moonflower121 <---My *special* imoto-chan!
Aunt.:.{Pikari.:.Sakaki}
Cousin.:.Genki_Girl
~~~~~~
If you had a choice; why not choose happiness?
It's called...CANON~
~~~~~~
遠く遠く この空のどこかに 君はいるんだろう
I know that you are somewhere under this sky, far, far away
-"Planetarium" -Ai Otsuka
-------

Offline AiKo

• ~* Curious Koneko *~
  • "A True Fan"
  • M as curious as a cat~ nyahn~
« Reply #3 on: August 03 2005, 08:08 pm »
In volume 17, you'll find out that Akito is actually a woman :keke: chapter 97 i think or was that 98? :sweatdrop:

...and Yuki finally tells Tohru that he loves her.
Hmm... true Yuki loves her... but not in a romantic way
Wai~~!!! :3 :cat: i wuv cats :cat:

Offline xx_chibirosie_xx

• Obsessed Fan
  • h-o-r-w-a-r-d...horward!! >.<
« Reply #4 on: August 04 2005, 06:55 am »
hm...I read up to 15 and a little bit of 16...I was kinda suprised when kyou said that he met kyoko before...@.@

Offline AiKo

• ~* Curious Koneko *~
  • "A True Fan"
« Reply #5 on: August 04 2005, 09:51 pm »
yahp he met Kyoko before :D but the thing is... I don't get why Kyo in volume 4 said sorry to Tohru and why he is feeling guilty about Kyoko... :confused:

Offline xx_chibirosie_xx

• Obsessed Fan
« Reply #6 on: August 05 2005, 03:12 am »
I think I know...but then again my theory might be wrong @.@

Offline AiKo

• ~* Curious Koneko *~
  • "A True Fan"
« Reply #7 on: August 05 2005, 10:50 pm »
But it might be a possibility :D

Offline fisah

• "Die-Hard Fan!"
  • Pathetically Obesessed
« Reply #8 on: August 16 2005, 09:31 am »
LOL, I'm farther than book 10 *sheepish*  as for most of the questions. I'll put them in spoilers:

Is Yuki really in love with Tohru?

Show content
At first, all the evidence did point to this, however, we're not so sure anymore. Yuki does indeed love Tohru, but more like a mother. In fact, Tohru and Kyou were rather akward with each other after a situation, involving a blanket and huggling, and they kept blushing around each other, Yuki felt uncomfortable and left, saying, he felt as though he walked in on 'his mother having a new lover'. I dont know what to think of this comment, does Yuki indeed love Tohru other than a mother figure? Its unlikely though, the prospect of Yuki x Tohru has always appealed to me, however, I believe Tohru x Kyou is more..best fitted. Yuki always needed love...not the love of his fangirls, or the admiration, but a love of a mother. If anyone has noticed, Tohru acts very motherly towards Yuki, she gives him advice, always checks if he's fine, and compliments him. I think Yuki loves Tohru, as if she was his mother, because in his life, he never had the type of love, or that mother figure. Just my two cents on the topic ^^; Also, Kyou already said he loves Tohru...however, only to himself. Yuki is also spending time with a girl named Machi..she is strange, and Yuki often comforts her, in one chapter, it looked like they were about to kiss, but Machi's phone rang, go figure.

Oh and, I support both Yuki x Tohru and Kyo x Tohru, but I'm just giving some insight :lol:

Is Shigure up to something? *MAJOR SPOILER*

Show content
Okay, Shigure use to be one of my fav characters, however, he isn't all that's he's cracked up to be.

Remember, he has the spirit of the dog, who is carefree, fun loving, and usually optimistic. But dogs aren't exactly perfect are they? They become rabid, and angry...stray if you will. I think Shigure fits this role amazingly, its really a suprise people haven't caught on so early in the series.

First of all, Shigure is indeed up to something. And that is trying to break the curse. The idea itself isn't bad, but his methods, are horrible. He's risking Tohru's fate so they could be closer...and it seems he views Kyou and Tohru just like Akito does, filthy, horrible, and only good for others. He didn't exactly say this, but his actions, and the talk he had with Tohru, concerning Kyou, was rather disgusting.

Now, for the real shocker. Akito is actually a girl *gasp*, and is more disgusting as ever. Her and Shigure have a relationship, and in one chapter *forgot the number exactly, but around the 100's* they have/about to have sex. I couldn't belive either, I always knew Shigure was the closest to Akito, but WOW. Anywho, I dont quite recall how they had 'it', but I do know she *it seems odd saying that* kissed him first, and Akito calls the 12 shi, as her 'things'. She's really disgusting isn't she?

Who does Tohru love?

Show content
Okay, it always seemed she loved Yuki *at least to me* however, it seems like she does love Kyo. The play incidents, and the entire blanket scenario just confirmed this. Also, she keeps feeling regret when she feels more for Kyou then her mother. She often questions herself, since she always promised she would keep her mother formost in her heart, but there's no denying she really cares about Kyou, and has feelings for him Also, Momiji *who seems much OLDER now* says, that he wanted to propose to Tohru, and Kyou notices, that he was indeed obvious with his feelings. They also act much more couple like, he aks her 'out' and she spends more time with him. I guess her and Yuki are slowly dfriting apart. *sniff* I want them to still be friends though.

Anway, if anyone has any more questions, and are willing to be spoiled silly just ask  :haha:
A Dream
A Glitter
A Peacful Serenity

Kira x Lacus

Forum Family <3

Little Sister- Zeldi
Sister-Lika-chi (twin? XD), Endoh, Angelic-Essence
Big Sister- moezy-chan, SofiaofCardcaptors, bluetopaz
Big Brother-Tooya_Mizuki

Offline KawaiiHana

• Big Fan
  • RAWR!!! =]
« Reply #9 on: August 16 2005, 12:46 pm »
HOLY MOLY! Those spoilers were awesome! :XD:
I'm not as far in the manga as you guys are. I haven't been reading as much of the manga as I would like to.
Curses to school! >_<
~*Forum Family*~
Moonflower121- Little Sister
moezy-chan - Big Sister
Sayora Chan - Cousin
charme* - Big Sister

Offline gemini_sohma_chan

• Yondy-papa say "no!"
« Reply #10 on: August 17 2005, 10:10 am »
Spoiler---yeah but if you further on in the story yuki actually says taht he loves tohru like a mother and besides he will like someone else.

Offline xx_chibirosie_xx

• Obsessed Fan
« Reply #11 on: August 17 2005, 10:48 am »
yup! Its true! I heard he ends up with Machi (I think thats the name...o.o")

Offline AiKo

• ~* Curious Koneko *~
  • "A True Fan"
« Reply #12 on: August 17 2005, 10:35 pm »
Yahp that's her name :D although to some people they say that she's just a replacement of Tohru or something like that.

About the Akito part:
Show content
I think she's just misunderstood. I mean her mother, Ren, sorta abandoned her ne? And I think Akito's a daddy's girl (they say his name is Akira?)

Yuki and Tohru are still friends but it seems that they don't have much inter-action so far

Offline xx_chibirosie_xx

• Obsessed Fan
« Reply #13 on: August 18 2005, 04:39 am »
wow really? thats interesting O_o lol

Offline KirakiraInu

• Good Fan
  • The Cat's Eye Cafe Kitties
« Reply #14 on: August 27 2005, 05:29 pm »
Hey! Fisah-chan! Thanks a bunch for the spiolers! They were great! Yup, I always knew Akito was sick both mentally and physically, but WOW!!! I never thought she could be THAT terrible yuck!

About Shigure, I'd really hate to admit this, but, Shigure was, is and always be one of my favorite Fruits Basket characters, no matter what you say about him, even though I know they're true. However, like all the other characters, I like him better in the anime, he doesn't look as creepy (actually, to me, everyone except Tohru, Hana, Uo looks kinda creepy in the manga -_-') and he's definetly not nearly as suspicious.
They say when you fall, it's best to fall straight to the bottom, and the forther you have to crawl back up, the stronger and greater you'll become as a result - Hiyono Yuizaki (Spiral-suiri no kizuna)

Offline fisah

• "Die-Hard Fan!"
  • Pathetically Obesessed
« Reply #15 on: August 27 2005, 06:16 pm »
True, Akito will always be a sick...person >_>

Shigure is one of my favourite characters as well, he was especially awesome in the anime though, the manga art sorta degrades the entire feel to everything :XD: However, I was always suspicious of him, espcially how he was
Show content
the closest to Akito :0
. Sorry for the bad news though, trust me, I was dissapointed, and maybe even angry as well. I still love Shigure, even if he is different from now on :lol:

No problem, glad to help with the spoilers ^___^
A Dream
A Glitter
A Peacful Serenity

Kira x Lacus

Forum Family <3

Little Sister- Zeldi
Big Brother-Tooya_Mizuki

Offline AiKo

• ~* Curious Koneko *~
  • "A True Fan"
« Reply #16 on: September 04 2005, 06:59 pm »
Show content
they look pretty ne~?
You Are Warned~!!  :D cover of chapter 115
« Last Edit: September 07 2005, 05:58 pm by AiKo »

Offline Ruby Chan

• Yet Another Anime Obsessive
  • "Die-Hard Fan!"
  • KuroFai Love
« Reply #17 on: September 04 2005, 07:39 pm »
Yeah, but what you say about Shigure.....you forgot one thing.....in volume 2, he said to himself when Yuki and Kyo didn't go to the banquet.....

Show content
'For now.....Akito, you're pathetic.'

So I don't think that Shii-chan can be THAT bad......whilst his methods may be undesirable at times, I think that he does have a good heart, even if he has let himself stray a little through his desperation to break the curse. Plus, Hatori (and Aya too, even if he is a little weird) are good, firmly-on-the-side-of-right people, and since Shigure grew up with them, and was so close....I think that there's hope for him yet.

Well, those are my thoughts anyway.
« Last Edit: September 05 2005, 06:58 pm by Ruby Chan »

My Fanfiction              AnimeFicathon             My LJ
FORUM FAMILY -  Hori ~ Little Sister    Sakaki ~ Big Sister    Fai ~ Little Sister    VexNet ~ Big Brother
OniiChanTouya - Little Sister    Zeldi ~ Cousin     Pikari ~ Big Sister   lika-chi ~ Cousin     AkaiYuki ~ Aunt        Dragonia ~ Cousin       soficacardcaptors ~ Big Sister      bLuetopaz ~ Big Sister       S.Espoire ~ Cousin      
Charme* ~ Little Sister        Starfire ~ Big Sister      Asuka-chan ~ Little Sister

Offline fisah

• "Die-Hard Fan!"
  • Pathetically Obesessed
« Reply #18 on: September 05 2005, 01:10 am »
I dont think Shigure is evil at all, on the contrary, I think he's getting close to Akito, to protect himself, especially since Akito does odd things to people who 'disobey', so maybe he's protecting himself, and everything is just one big scam? Though, I think
Show content
he does have some feelings for Akito...if you kiss her that is....
Shigure is a good person, who has good intentions, but bad methods in getting what he needs/wants.
A Dream
A Glitter
A Peacful Serenity

Kira x Lacus

Forum Family <3

Little Sister- Zeldi
Big Brother-Tooya_Mizuki

Offline AiKo

• ~* Curious Koneko *~
  • "A True Fan"
« Reply #19 on: September 07 2005, 06:25 pm »
Major Spoilers~! Don't read if you hate them! :keke:
Show content
chapter 115: It seems that Momiji's curse is broken by the end of the chapter and we get to see how Akira looks like