AuthorTopic: Fai - Character Discussion  (Read 166884 times)

Offline envyofthestage

• Big Fan
  • Fai/Kuro is my OTP.
Re: Fai - Character Discussion
« Reply #180 on: April 16 2006, 08:07 am »
So then, people...Chaptire 112...we got some serious Fai angst. Let's discuss!

I think we can come to the conclusion that Fai wants to be loved but is terrified that people who love or care for him will be hurt, so he's torn basically, between wanting someone to care for him aka "Take him away", and wanting people to leave him alone so they won't be harmed....presumably by Ashura...?

I also picked up on the anime, Fai says, "If you are happy and smile all the time, no-one will harass you." (ep 13?) Isn't that very Fai? Hrmm...
lol@Fai/Chi fans

~*~*~*Forum Family~*~*~*~*

Daughter: Kjesta
Sister: Emiko

Offline Jeannette

• Official KuroFai Advocate
  • Dedicated Fan
  • Souma <3
« Reply #181 on: April 16 2006, 08:13 am »
Yep, I agree. I think you pretty much pinned it down with that post, envy. I also would add that I think Fai has some guilt issues, so a part of him believes he doesn't deserve to be loved, due to pass sins. I strongly doubt that, whatever the story with Ashura is, Fai is completely innocent. And that makes the situation all the more messed up.
Sign the Petition for Equality: millionformarriage.org

My Livejournal CLAMP Yuri Com My Fanfiction My Graphics Sandcastles

Every time you rape the canon, God kills a kitten. Please, think of the kittens.

My Forum Wife: hoshisenshi - My Sister-in-Law: AkaiYuki - My Sister: Capella - Pet Doggy: Quimmy

Proud Member of the Remember Hideki Campaign

Offline envyofthestage

• Big Fan
  • Fai/Kuro is my OTP.
« Reply #182 on: April 16 2006, 10:42 am »
Hrmm, yeah definetly. The fact that (according to Kuro and Syaoran) Fai is a combat veteran and that Fai had vowed not to use his magic without his tatoo (I'm getting this from the anime but the translation could be a bit off ^_^) leads back to the whole theory of....unmeasurably powerful Fai's magic was controlled by that tatoo Ashura placed on him and then manipulated him with it. I know that makes Fai out to be a victim, but we can see how he's the type that would blame himself for something like that? That's why he wouldn't want anyone to 'get in' as it were, past his defences and into his heart, just like Sakura and Syaoran (but especially Kuro) ^_~  have?
Maybe someone he was very close to was hurt by him because of Ashura, but he blames himself? It's so difficult because we know so little about Fai. Argh!! Come on CLAMP, give us something concrete that doesn't make our heads spin..(unless it's the good kind of spinning only created by Fai/Kuro Ohhohohooo!)

Another thing  I'm so confused about though is...Fai's life because all the translations I'm reading are more complicated each time, is it that he takes his life for granted? But Fai says it's difficult for him to die? Is that because he...would use his magic then? Or is he like immortal? Argh!! Man, it's confusing...
lol@Fai/Chi fans

Offline Jeannette

• Dedicated Fan
  • Souma <3
« Reply #183 on: April 16 2006, 11:12 am »
To the best of my understanding from reading several different translations of the manga and anime, Fai 'takes his life for granted' like Kurogane said in Outo because he doesn't care whether he lives or dies. In someways, he would probably rather be dead, simply because then he wouldn't have to worry about Ashura. He used his magic to save them all, not because he cares about himself and doesn't want to die, but because he cares about the others and doesn't want them to die. I don't remember Fai saying anything about it being difficult for him to die. Where did you read that? From a certain perspective, it certainly would be difficult for him to die, considering that he's an uber powerful mage, but that would only be true if he used his magic to protect himself.

Every time you rape the canon, God kills a kitten. Please, think of the kittens.

My Forum Wife: hoshisenshi - My Sister-in-Law: AkaiYuki - My Sister: Capella - Pet Doggy: Quimmy

Offline envyofthestage

• Big Fan
  • Fai/Kuro is my OTP.
« Reply #184 on: April 16 2006, 11:31 am »
In the Del Rey versions (*groan*) Fai says during the battle with Kiimishi, "You see...I don't die very easily." and I think he says it another time in Outo. Fai says that an injury like that won't kill him and Kurogane's like, "not won't...can't." Or something like that.
But Del Rey...not most reliable...

:( Poor Fai. *hugs* But we all know that Kurogane is the one that will make him want to live again.
That's another thing, isn't it? About him waiting for the one who will take him away...that's very interesting. Ne?
lol@Fai/Chi fans

Offline Jeannette

• Dedicated Fan
  • Souma <3
« Reply #185 on: April 16 2006, 12:12 pm »
In the Del Rey versions (*groan*) Fai says during the battle with Kiimishi, "You see...I don't die very easily." and I think he says it another time in Outo. Fai says that an injury like that won't kill him and Kurogane's like, "not won't...can't." Or something like that.
But Del Rey...not most reliable...

:( Poor Fai. *hugs* But we all know that Kurogane is the one that will make him want to live again.
That's another thing, isn't it? About him waiting for the one who will take him away...that's very interesting. Ne?
*smacks self* Okay, I remember that bit in Outo now. I took that bit in Outo where Fai says it won't kill him just as Fai brushing off the injury, and then Kurogane turning it on him saying that it should be more like Fai won't let such a slight injury kill him.

And I find the bit about being 'taken away' very fascinating. ^^  CLAMP loves to play with words like that.

Offline envyofthestage

• Big Fan
  • Fai/Kuro is my OTP.
« Reply #186 on: April 16 2006, 08:26 pm »
I know! Damn you , CLAMP, why do you make run riot?
I can't wait to find out about Fai's past
lol@Fai/Chi fans

Offline Sheepworld

• New Fan
  • What? What? What?
« Reply #187 on: April 17 2006, 08:59 pm »
Yep, I'm hoping that CLAMP reveals something about Fai soon too.

It seems strange. Maybe it's just me, but even though Fai doesn't seem to mind dying or not, he seems like he's afraid of pain, or certainly not too keen on it (but then again who is?) Maybe it's just me.  -_- Argh! CLAMP, please use your almighty powers to give us a hint!

Did anyone else find it odd that in Outo Fai was blown into a wall and it crumbled all around him and yet all he got were a few scrapes and a twisted ankle? I know super bishounen = super, mad, endurance/power skillz but still. He just doesn't seem to get hurt like he should...not that I want him to get hurt or anything.
Go! Go! GO!

Offline envyofthestage

• Big Fan
  • Fai/Kuro is my OTP.
« Reply #188 on: April 18 2006, 01:20 am »
Yeah, I know. That is teh strange :S
(Fai should get the flu or something so Kurogane has to take care of him...)

Ahem.
lol@Fai/Chi fans

Offline Dayanira

• New Fan
« Reply #189 on: April 18 2006, 04:03 am »
I have a bad feeling that CLAMP are going to tease us for a very long time, and for now we should just forget about Fai's past >_<

I've been thinking a lot about it but there too few clues. However i have an idea... Looking at Ashura's picture I don't believe he is evil, his face, his eyes... they are too kind. Fai seems not to be afraid of death, so I don't think he escaped from his world in order to save his own life. And we know from chapter 112 (^^) that he doesn't want anyone to be hurt because of him... Because of all that I start thinking that Fai's presence in his world might be dangerous for Ashura... But Ashura might have not wanted Fai to leave because of him, and so Fai had no other choice, than to seal Ashura and escape so as nobody could stop him. But when Ashura wakes up he can foolow Fai to bring him back, which makes Fai be so nervous...

All theese things really drive me crazy... I hate this idea, but for now it's the only one that has some sense
There are no coincidences in this  world... there is only Hitsuzen... Everything here  has already been predestined by CLAMP!!!

Offline envyofthestage

• Big Fan
  • Fai/Kuro is my OTP.
« Reply #190 on: April 18 2006, 05:53 am »
Hrmm...maybe.
I think that people do often jump to the conclusion that Ashura must be evil, but that look is kind, there good be many explanations as to why Fai sealed him.
But then again...it's obvious Fai is terrified of Ashura himself. At least I think so.
lol@Fai/Chi fans

Offline Kirtai

• Donators
  • Big Fan
  • When eternity is not too long...
« Reply #191 on: April 18 2006, 09:34 am »
Ok, I'm joining this thread too.  I must talk about Fai or I'll go crazy!  Does anyone know what Ashura is like in RG Veda?  I agree that Fai is obviously terrified of Ashura finding him.  That's why I want the missing part of the Shura/Shara arc so darn bad.... What must poor Fai have been going through before he got to verify that the Ashura-Ou they were fighting was not his Ashura-Ou?  What I find interesting is that he obviously thinks that Ashura will be dangerous to those he is close to.  It makes me think of suppression- he is afraid to be with someone because of Ashura's almost like ownership of him.  That's the feeling I get, that Ashura still has a great hold on him.  The KuroXFai fangirl in me says that Ashura would be jealous of Kuro, and therefore kill him - that's why Fai is afraid to get close to him. 
    Has anyone seen the seventies anime of Swan Lake?  Fai reminds me of Odette a little; he's a bird in an invisible cage, held captive by an evil wizard, desperately wanting his prince to break the spell, but afraid the breaking will cost them both their lives!  Ok, cheesy rant ended.

Offline Jeannette

• Dedicated Fan
  • Souma <3
« Reply #192 on: April 18 2006, 09:43 am »
Eh, I've read the first couple books of RG Veda. I have scanlations of the whole thing, but I need to finish reading it. Actually, TokyoPop is doing a good translation of RG Veda right now- I think book five comes out this month. From what I've read of RG Veda, Ashura has this split personality. He can be really sweet and kind, and then he can be absolutely evil. So it can go either way.

Offline Dayanira

• New Fan
« Reply #193 on: April 18 2006, 09:57 am »
But as far as i understand, it's not THAT Ashura... i mean, in RG VEDA, there were two of them, they were different persons but had the same name. So Ashura from Fai's world is "the first" one, who lived 300 ago (or so) This one: http://www.tsubasachronicle.net/gallery/displayimage.php?album=6&pos=25
« Last Edit: April 19 2006, 03:14 am by Chiaki »
There are no coincidences in this  world... there is only Hitsuzen... Everything here  has already been predestined by CLAMP!!!

Offline Pikari

• cRAzY fan
« Reply #194 on: April 18 2006, 10:11 am »
After finally finishing all of RG Veda, it's kind of hard for me to buy into the 'Tsubasa Ashura is evil' theory.

RG Veda ending spoilers.....
Show content
Ashura-ou (Fai's Ashura, the older one who was the father of the younger, genderless Ashura in RG Veda and was dead before the story begins, so only appears in flashbacks) always seemed kind of the silent and moody type when he appeared, at least I thought. And in the end, we find out that Ashura-ou made Taishakuten (the evil king guy) promise to make sure his son would never be un-sealed, because it had been prophesied that his son would destroy the world. And Taishakuten kept his promise, because he was in love with Ashura-ou... so the only reason he was evil was to stay true to his promise. The Ashura clan were supposed to be the god of destruction, merciless and bloodthirsty, but Ashura-ou was not because the seal hadn't entirely been broken, or something like this. So the 'merciless' part only showed up in his son later. But the whole 'seal' plot is interesting compared to Ashura-ou being 'sealed' in Tsubasa. Although it might be pretty lame of CLAMP to rip off their whole RG Veda plot, the idea of split-personality Ashura-ou in Tsubasa is interesting. Perhaps even Ashura-ou asked Fai to seal him, knowing that if the 'merciless' part of him finally came out.... and that's the side of him that Fai's so afraid of. *shrugs* Who knows.

Err... although maybe this should move to the Ashura character thread...  :sweatdrop:

Offline Sheepworld

• New Fan
  • What? What? What?
« Reply #195 on: April 18 2006, 08:28 pm »
That's interesting. I never thought about that. I also don't like the whole Ashura was totally evil and abusive thing. I think someone has said it before, but Fai's tattoo could always have something to do with the seal.
Go! Go! GO!

Offline Sailor Yue-chan

• Vampire <3 FTW
  • *Freak Fan?!*
  • So many yaoi OTPs.... so litlte time =3
« Reply #196 on: April 19 2006, 03:08 pm »
I don't think it's that, but rather maybe he was somehow forced into doing something BY King Ashura.
Being the King's Wizard (which I'm assuming he was) he would be very close to King Ashura. Maybe he was forced or Tricked. I don't know. I just feel like he isn't using his magic because of some great guilt.
Maybe he then realized how out of control King Ashura was and sealed him away with his magic.

i feel trhat way too! that would sorta explain fai's self loathing and stuff.
I m a big fai fan and i prefer that spelling. won't Fay be read as Day
i dont like the "official" spelling either. i used to do it as Fye, but i find my self using fai more often. (spelling fay makes me worried what will funimtion do to it :sad5:

also, i prefer "Hyuu~! as fai's official whistle pronunciation instead of 'wheet woot' hyuu spunds so much cuter/ :keke:
« Last Edit: April 19 2006, 04:15 pm by SailorYue »
-----
When you fall in love, gender does not matter. You can't help who your heart chooses, it just HAPPENS. So don't try to fight it, you'll only end up hurt.

-----
Please contribute to my TVRage Tsubasa Chronicle Guide
-----
Part of the Remember Hideki comittee/antiBeetrain comittee
-----
Online mangas @msn:
Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLeS
xxxHOLIC
Forum Family:
Lil Sis:
Kairi
Cousin: kudan
Big Sis: Møon Li
Twin:Tatasenko

not mine

Offline envyofthestage

• Big Fan
  • Fai/Kuro is my OTP.
« Reply #197 on: April 20 2006, 02:11 am »
Hehe, I love hyuu too, the first tiem I heard it I must've squeed for like a year. And again when Kurogane done it...
AND  BY THE WAY...was anyone else totally scandalized when Kurogane went "Hyuu!" when Sakura came in wearing the waitress outfit in the anime!

But was Fai Ashura's wizard? In all the pictures Ashura had his own staff and looks very magical (what with the huge gems in his forehead) and lives ina huge floating castle...so would he need a personal wizard? If he's capable of magic himself. Wouldn't it be cool if Fai was like his bodyguard? (again leading back to the uber-powerful Fai theory!)
lol@Fai/Chi fans

Offline Sailor Yue-chan

• Vampire <3 FTW
  • *Freak Fan?!*
  • So many yaoi OTPs.... so litlte time =3
« Reply #198 on: April 20 2006, 04:06 am »
maybe ashura blackmailed fai? only time and CLAMP will tell. :-/
i have a large fai image collection (and a fw other images of other chara) in my photobucket...
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v497/sailoryue/Tsubasa%20Chronicle/
(yes i have an image of FWR there...i have it there cuz i was showing someone it)
-----
When you fall in love, gender does not matter. You can't help who your heart chooses, it just HAPPENS. So don't try to fight it, you'll only end up hurt.

-----
Please contribute to my TVRage Tsubasa Chronicle Guide
-----
Part of the Remember Hideki comittee/antiBeetrain comittee
-----
Online mangas @msn:
Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLeS
xxxHOLIC
Forum Family:
Lil Sis:
Kairi
Cousin: kudan
Big Sis: Møon Li
Twin:Tatasenko

not mine

Offline envyofthestage

• Big Fan
  • Fai/Kuro is my OTP.
« Reply #199 on: April 20 2006, 05:15 am »
Also, don't you find it really quite sad/interesting that Fai crated Chi? Why? Because there was no-one else for him to talk to, he doesn't seem the type to create people for scientific/experimental reasons, so was it because he was lonely?
Perhaps she was created on the basis of someone he once knew, someone who he killed? Perhaps by him or Ashura?
lol@Fai/Chi fans